The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an old school DP tuner 4 position chip installed in my truck for probably 13-14 years with no problems at all. I've never even upgraded any programs since it was original. Lately in only the 60hp position and warmed up the truck will misfire and buck and surge when giving just a little bit of throttle past float going down the highway. It does not do this in any other chip position. It's too late in the week and day to call for tech support so to get me starting troubleshooting in the right direction, Is it possible for a single program to go "bad"? If it was a contact issue with the chip to the ECM would all of the programs be acting up, or is it possible a contact issue would only affect one program?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It could be the switch it self acting up in the one position. It could be the connection has what I would call o zone build up or the connection has come loose. It might be a shot to pull the chip out and look at everything and reinstall and test again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resolved

Just a quick update in case anyone else runs into this problem. I spoke with DP Tuner tech support and was told this was very likely to be the switch, but unfortunately they didn't have any more replacements left. I was contemplating getting a new modern chip when I figured, what the hell I'll try fixing the switch. First I sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner in it and worked the switch a bunch and it did help, but not completely. That did verify it was the switch though, so I carefully disassembled the switch taking care not to break the little plastic locking tabs. I could then see the oxidation on the contacts, so I used some really fine grit sandpaper to clean up all of the contacts, reassembled it and it's been working like new ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts