The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2001 F-250 7.3L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to owning a 7.3L and have read all kinds of great info on this site but can't seem to find anything in the last 10 years about which oil and filter types (synthetic or conventional) or brands are best.
There have been some upgrades over the last few years in oil and filter quality and I would assume some downgrades (as in maybe a great filter 15 years ago is made with lower standards and inferior products today).
I'm looking for any helpful advice!
Thank you in advance!

P.S. I have also been learning about filter magnets and wonder if yall still recommend using them.

·
Premium Member
15,406 Posts
There may be changes, but sometimes the tried and true is the way to go. I still use Motorcraft filters and Shell Rotella 15W40 or Delo 400. Granted, I don't do my oil analysis often, but I just got one back. You be the judge.

Attachments

Reactions: Oneof6

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
I have ran Valvoline 15w-40 in my truck since it was new along with either a Wix or Motorcraft filter.

I see no need to try and find a new and or so called better oil.

·
Administrator
27,247 Posts
Filter magnets are good for sucking the money out of your wallet. ;)
The oil specs change over the years, but still any Diesel rated oil is fine. There are guys that have run Walmart branded oil and have had no issues. I run Delo 400.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I don't use Marvel Mystery Oil but whenever I can catch a radioactive Cat I suit up and squeeze some radioactive Cat P into my fuel. I have tried Opossum P but it just made my truck stall out.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to owning a 7.3L and have read all kinds of great info on this site but can't seem to find anything in the last 10 years about which oil and filter types (synthetic or conventional) or brands are best.
There have been some upgrades over the last few years in oil and filter quality and I would assume some downgrades (as in maybe a great filter 15 years ago is made with lower standards and inferior products today).
Thank you in advance!

P.S. I have also been learning about filter magnets and wonder if yall still recommend using them.
Yours actually IS 'WAY beyond changing to any (100%) synthetic oils, I.M.O..... just change at 5,000 miles intervals, using MOTORCRAFT FILTER and non-synthetic Diesel RATED Oils and PRAY that it continues to run long enough to return/earn your $$$$ paid.!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you in advance!

I use mobil delvac extreme 15w40 (full synthetic) and Baldwin filters. (Oil, coolant, fuel/water separator filter)
For additives either hotshot or liquimoly.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Where do you live?

In winter climates, I think the 5W-40 would not be a waste of money but some of the above posters have used 15W-40 in winter temperatures for 1-2 decades without issue.

I may be one of the few to say that switching to a full synthetic would be advantageous, but the main thing is to make sure it is rated for a diesel and IS on the Ford approved list provided earlier.

There are new diesel rated oils that are not suitable for our 7.3 so using the Ford Approved list is a good practice.

The best price on motor oil is typically found at Wal-Mart and they usually have a Motorcraft oil filter for $10 as well.

I do not use an oil additive myself.

Since the truck is new to you, I would suggest popping the hood and checking dipstick level daily for the first week. The truck may have an issue you are unaware of that results in rapid oil consumption.

Great truck and you found the forum to help you keep it running strong and as economically as possible.

Reactions: Oneof6

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you in advance!

Frontier Lubricants #405 15w40. I have 630,000 and counting. Used to change every 15k. Moving down to 10k now.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Frontier Lubricants #405 15w40. I have 630,000 and counting. Used to change every 15k. Moving down to 10k now.
Interesting Oil that is “CI-4 Plus” approved so qualifies for the engineering requirements of the 7.3 PSD and other pre-2007 Diesels. (For reference, the most recent rating is CK-4 and this Frontier #405 oil you use will not be on the Ford Approved List that I endorsed earlier but would still be a great oil for the 7.3.)

Probably greater availability if you live in CA.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Just purchased two 5 gallon buckets of CAT DEO-ULS 15-40.
“Guy” came in and offered me a killer deal on the stuff. He said he had a lot. I took a chance and took two.
Anybody know anything about this stuff?
EDIT:
CJ-4 or CK-4 ?

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Thanks for reply
My buckets just say DEO-ULS nothing after that. I glanced at the codes listed on the back. I don’t think cj4 was listed.
Here is the VOA for the CK-4 DEO-ULS:

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Thanks NYB,
I had done a poor job of communicating so I went back and edited.

I had meant to specify the Frontier #405 would not be on the Ford Approved List since it was not even a CJ-4 rated and like you indicate, the Approved List would be CK-4.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts