The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1999 (6/98) F250 XLT 4x4, 7.3L, DP Tuner 80hp Etune, HX Crossover, ~365K miles
72 Posts
360k plus miles….99% of the time it’s been Rotella 15w-40. Filters have varied, Fram, NAPA gold or Motorcraft. With this early production ‘99 coming up on 23 years old, see no reason for change. Inexpensive motor insurance (knocking on wood)!

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks NYB,
I had done a poor job of communicating so I went back and edited.

I had meant to specify the Frontier #405 would not be on the Ford Approved List since it was not even a CJ-4 rated and like you indicate, the Approved List would be CK-4.
7.3l motor doesn’t require CJ-4 Spec. No particulate
Thanks NYB,
I had done a poor job of communicating so I went back and edited.

I had meant to specify the Frontier #405 would not be on the Ford Approved List since it was not even a CJ-4 rated and like you indicate, the Approved List would be CK-4.
7.3l motor doesn’t have a particulate trap. CJ-4 oil not needed. CJ-4 oils are weaker. #405 has almost twice the additive package of any CJ-4 oil

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Yep.
Thats what I said back in Post # 13.
👍

·
Registered
635 Posts
Last oil change I finally switched to synthetic, but this oil change I could NOT find any diesel rated synthetic in my area. I went back to 15-40 dino oil for the long drive I had planned. It did cause a little stiction on startup in the cold area I was at due to my admittedly worn injectors, but a quick warmup took care of that. I was also given a case of Purolator filters, and have one left. I will go back to Fram or MC once that is gone. The only oil I found in sufficient quantities was STP Pro 15w-40. https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...ngine-oil-conventional-15w-40-1-gal/54319_0_0

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Greg,

It is often suggested to avoid the dual-rated CK-4/SN motor oils in our diesels because qualifying for the SN (gasoline engine) rating requires lesser amounts of ZDDP than what is found in HDEO CK-4 only (diesel engine) motor oils.

For this reason and the fact its 100% Conventional (Dino) Oil it is important to not exceed the OCI recommended by Ford.

There is a long standing argument against Fram oil filters. I decided its much easier to just use Motorcraft oil filters than join the Fram Wars. I have no experience with Fram, personally.

·
Administrator
27,237 Posts
Nick, that's good stuff. Has the higher amount of ZDDP that Dan noted above about the newer CK-4/SN rated oils that has reduced wear additives.

·
Administrator
27,237 Posts
ZDDP is Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (that clears it up right? ;)) which are anti-wear additives.
It's probably dino oil, so maybe not as "good" as Rotella synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Nick,
Personally, I would not hesitate using it in my 7.3’s or Kubotas but its been sitting on the shelf a long time. You will see some minuscule dark solids on the bottom of the jug.

·
Premium Member
8,075 Posts
I see Kevin. Thanks for clearing that up.
I’ve been straightening up my parts shed. I found a box with 31 cans of Liqui Moly. Some deal I got long enough ago to forget when.
I’m going to hit it with a couple cans of it.
60 degrees here so I thought it would be a good day to service my truck and do some global warm straitening of the shop and shed.
Bugster, My first diesel job was at a Kubota dealership in ‘82. Love them!!! I fix agricultural equipment also. I get fond memories every time I see one.
Tip.. That orange paint loves getting wiped down with Diesel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Greg,

It is often suggested to avoid the dual-rated CK-4/SN motor oils in our diesels because qualifying for the SN (gasoline engine) rating requires lesser amounts of ZDDP than what is found in HDEO CK-4 only (diesel engine) motor oils.

For this reason and the fact its 100% Conventional (Dino) Oil it is important to not exceed the OCI recommended by Ford.

There is a long standing argument against Fram oil filters. I decided its much easier to just use Motorcraft oil filters than join the Fram Wars. I have no experience with Fram, personally.
Thanks for that. It was really odd to walk into 4 different parts stores and see empty diesel oil shelves. I'm ordering my next oil change supplies so hopefully that won't happen.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Greg,
Back to Rotella, an HDEO ?

Do you have Wal-Mart in your area?
They usually have the best oil prices and $10 MC filter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My last oil change I got from Wal Mart and it worked out well. This last time even they were out of Diesel oil

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rotella 15W-40 and Motorcraft filters. You can find Rotella at any truck stop on the planet!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ive paid attention to this in here for years. After considering many many posts, started using WALMART brand---made by a huge manufacturer. Sent my oil out for testing over and over---they said I could go out to 15,000 miles for a change. Its the cheapest oil too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll post what i just found,

The motorcraft filters i picked up last month no longer have the large Motorcraft logo printed on them, they have a small sticker slapped on them with motorcraft printed on that,

also quite abit lighter which im not happy about considering the 70-100psi you see when your cold

Top of the threaded portion is also changed in stamping design and thinner

May have to look into some other brand, if im paying premium prices i should get premium product

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I'll post what i just found,

The motorcraft filters i picked up last month no longer have the large Motorcraft logo printed on them, they have a small sticker slapped on them with motorcraft printed on that,

also quite abit lighter which im not happy about considering the 70-100psi you see when your cold

Top of the threaded portion is also changed in stamping design and thinner

May have to look into some other brand, if im paying premium prices i should get premium product
Quite interesting.

I can’t even find Motorcraft FL-1995 in any parts store or Wal-Mart near me so I picked up a WIX #51734 for $15.

Where did you buy the MC filters last month?

If it was mail-order like eBay then I might be worried they are knock-off products.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts