The Diesel Stop banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Normalee,
I started doing a bit of searching on this topic and it appears FL-1995 has possibly been discontinued for FL-1995-A.

The new version does have a modified housing so its possible wall thickness has been changed...but I cannot verify.

EDIT:
Photos of the FL-199-A show a sticker label rather than the printing directly on the steel.

Was your new one possibly a FL-1995-A?

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I think that the 1995-A is all you have been able to purchase for the last year or so.

I remember people complaining about them on the forums quite a while ago.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I think that the 1995-A is all you have been able to purchase for the last year or so.

I remember people complaining about them on the forums quite a while ago.
That makes sense since that was the time of my last oil change.

I think I will stick with the WIX from here on out for $5 more.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I had a half dozen of the old 1995's and a down to my last one.

On the Wix, watch for sales at NAPA on their NAPA Gold filters since they are just rebranded Wix

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
The older filter is FL1995-A ....... The newer model with a different print look on the filter element and a different carton coloration is FL1995-B, "B" being the progression from A. On a Service trip I went in a WallMart in Valient, Oklahoma and bought the 9 they had on the shelf, mixed new and old stock. Ran an oil change cycle on a "B" filter, with a following Blackstone Lab analysis, and my silicon, iron and aluminum #'s were very very low, just like they have been for the last 260K Miles. So, regardless of anecdotal implications, imperical data that I get indicates that the filter element performs as well as its alphabetical predecessor, which was proven by testing to be very good.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Well thats quite reassuring, I have not held either an “-A” or a “-B” in the hand but the WIX I just installed had some greater heft to it.

The need for the “-B” itineration must be to fit a newer vehicle?

I wonder when my local Wal-Marts will get some inventory on the shelves?

I recall comparing the WIX and the FL-1995 some years ago and its quite challenging to find the proper specs. Most forum posts are simply repeating earlier forum posts that have no documented source to substantiate the info. Most data I found was from 3rd party filter warehouses and often provided dubious claims. For example, I just located specs from a 3rd Party website that states WIX burst pressure is 385-psi and the FL-1995-A is 200-psi.

That type of difference makes me doubt the credibility and it is obvious only the manufacturer can be used as a source and they don’t offer it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh wth, forum didnt show i had posts in here, so I didn't realize there were updates

Let me find the old filter and check, but i belive the old one was an "A" and the new one is a "B"

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
The A to B on the filter could be a different manufacture or a design change on the housing like applying the sticker

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Change is often unwelcomed, even when it's a purpose and or quality irrelevant change, like the service irrelevant ID labeling cosmetics of an item.
Best practice, find a relevant reason to continue or discontinue using a product, price, quality or durability by testing it. Or, pay multiples more for a different similar product with cute dinosaurs or Tommy Hillfinger on it and take their word for its quality, or back to the testing mode.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Change is often unwelcomed
Especially unnecessary change when the majority of the change that occurs in the US today is motivated to appease shareholders and not to actually improve upon an item.

I remain suspicious of change today because its seldom for the better in our profit-driven mindset of planned obsolescence.

The WIX filter is absent the cute dinosaurs but it has a very noticeable greater wall-thickness than the FL-1995-A.

Will I stick with them after this one for the extra $5? That depends on what I find out about filtration...but I sure don’t like the look of those Motorcraft stickers !

Planned Obsolescence:
  1. a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Change is often unwelcomed, even when it's a purpose and or quality irrelevant change, like the service irrelevant ID labeling cosmetics of an item.
Best practice, find a relevant reason to continue or discontinue using a product, price, quality or durability by testing it. Or, pay multiples more for a different similar product with cute dinosaurs or Tommy Hillfinger on it and take their word for its quality, or back to the testing mode.
I have no idea why you decided to wake up on the wrong side of the bed and apply that sour attitude to me, but change that happens in todays established products is always for money

Before you go claiming in old and set in my ways and also to old to see the advancements made by todays technology:

Im 37

Hold master and journeyman electrical licenses in 6 states independent of reciprocation

Own my own electrical company

Own both Ford and Chevy vehicles

And finally, yes im suspicious of change, because ive had to replace my "modern" refrigerator 3 times in the last 2 years, and a half dozen icemakers for them over the last 10 years.

The photo below is of a refrigerator my grandfather bought new in 1956, it has NEVER been services internally and the only thing i have done to it is replaced the rubber door seals due to deterioration.

This refrigerator has cost GE roughly $22,000.00 over the last 66 years by my estimation due to the way appliances are designed and built to fail on purpose now.

They dont care about making a good product, they care about making a product to beat their warranty period and thats it.

Yes, its a frosted Surge, its perfectly drinkable, it will do this every time without fail, it doesnt freeze them into an undrinkable ice cube

Beverage can Aluminum can Tin Automotive lighting Tin can

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think the post was directed at you.

I will be 67 this year.
I am a Chicago licensed electrician.
I work mainly on fire pump controllers and pump control systems. Own my own company and I am sent to surrounding states occasionally for factory warranty work and emergencies. I have repaired and replaced controllers as old as 1927.

However I do agree with your post about the lack of quality in products today. "but change that happens in todays established products is always for money"

Refrigerators definitely have poorly designed icemakers and bare minimum requirements for the refrigeration system.

I have owned a harley panhead since 1978. Aftermarket parts quality are not up to tolerances of original equipment.

Pump controllers are made to cut costs in production. Life expectancy and product obsolescence is short.

Working on a 7.3 also has issues with using aftermarket sensors and some products. That is one reason we are on this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
I have no idea why you decided to wake up on the wrong side of the bed and apply that sour attitude to me, but change that happens in todays established products is always for money

Before you go claiming in old and set in my ways and also to old to see the advancements made by todays technology:

Im 37

Hold master and journeyman electrical licenses in 6 states independent of reciprocation

Own my own electrical company

Own both Ford and Chevy vehicles

And finally, yes im suspicious of change, because ive had to replace my "modern" refrigerator 3 times in the last 2 years, and a half dozen icemakers for them over the last 10 years.

The photo below is of a refrigerator my grandfather bought new in 1956, it has NEVER been services internally and the only thing i have done to it is replaced the rubber door seals due to deterioration.

This refrigerator has cost GE roughly $22,000.00 over the last 66 years by my estimation due to the way appliances are designed and built to fail on purpose now.

They dont care about making a good product, they care about making a product to beat their warranty period and thats it.

Yes, its a frosted Surge, its perfectly drinkable, it will do this every time without fail, it doesnt freeze them into an undrinkable ice cube

View attachment 186209
I am not sour its an analysis. I am appropriately impressed by both your youth and beginners craft education levels. I won't hold that against you a bit. Don't let a sticker make up your mind or assumptions that all old products are better than new. I can name countless products that when new were better than their predessers, including that refrigerator and even the beer can.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
A PDF of a recent oil change using a new FL1995-B filter and Rotella T4 15w40. No change from FL1995-A Filter used for prior 20 years. Data, not opining about cosmetic stickers over a flash photo paint label.

Attachments

41 - 55 of 55 Posts