The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ford excursion with the 7.3. I first got it and it ran great but than in 1 month it broke down twice. First time it broke down i was going about 30 and it just died. Second time i was on a hard acceleration and it did it the samethjng. Both times i replaced fuel filters and it started right up the next morning. The third time it happened was in Feb and i just put a programmer on it and it shut down after a hard acceleration. It has been broke down ever sense. If i accelerate for to long it throws a p1211 code. I have replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. I have 1800 psi at the hpop but is the pump suppose to hold the pressure? As soon as i stop cranking it drops to 0. New cps from ford and icp and ipr. Valve cover harness are good. I todok it on vacation 2 weeks before it shut down for good and it started first crank in -30 weather and never had a bad start. But when i would sit their in park and give it throttle when it got to a high rpms it would just poor white smoke. Thanks for the help hoping to get this thing going

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
You've apparently got a scanner, so you're off to a good start.

No, the HPOP isn't supposed to hold pressure after you stop cranking. The IPR is a bleed valve - it dumps excess pressure depending on where the PCM is commanding the needle (IPR duty cycle). Once you stop cranking, pressure would bleed to zero. With the key off, the IPR is in the full open position.

I'm a little confused where you are at. Your title says it won't run. You mention in the story about white smoke at high RPM. Are you at the point where it won't start at all? White smoke indicates air intrusion into the fuel. How much fuel is in the tank right now? I know you've replaced filters and the pump, but have you ever checked fuel pressure? I think that would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response its greatly appreciated. The truck wont run at all now. I just didnt know if the white smoke had anything to deal with why it wont run now. We checked fuel pressure before we replaced the pump and it was at 42 psi. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
Normal fuel pressure on these is 62 psi. I'm wondering if you have air intrusion that caused the white smoke and running issues.

I would start your diagnostics over at this point. Check the fuel pressure again. If its good - great, if it's not then let's figure that out.

If the fuel pressure is ok, then run a buzz test. That checks the IDM and all the connections to the injectors.

Next, I would set up your scanner to monitor IC pressure (which you said got to 1800 psi), IPR duty cycle, injector pulse width, RPM, and voltage. I'm attaching a sheet that tells you minimum values of each you need to get it to run. Check everything on the worksheet - even the simple stuff like oil level.

View attachment coldstart.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty will do thanks! My buddy has his own shop and has a snapon scanner. We did a buzz test and they all sounded good. He says everything looks good. He is stumped. Thanks for the reply. Will check everything else out and get back to ya! do you have any other ideas? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
If you follow that sheet, you will rule out everything that can lead to a no start - except mechanical issues. If you broke a camshaft or blew holes in all your pistons so that you've got no compression. Those things are about as likely as winning the PowerBall tonight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alrighty sounds good! Thank you! The guy i got it from put in a second fuel tank so i bet its sucking air somewhere from their. We are changing everything back to just one tank. It was a mess. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts