The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Tried starting it this morning and it won't turn over.

The batteries and alternator are brand new and the starter is good.

What could be the problem? Any ideas would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Can you hear the starter relay click in. Might not be getting juice to the starter solenoid. Short across the relay big terminals with a screw driver, if it starts then the relay is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The solenoid is good also.

I don't want to assume anything but it seems like it'c begging for fuel. Would it be the injetors? I run fuel additive monthly but it's still not starting.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
We need to clarify some terms first. When you say it "won't turn over," people like Bill and I assume you mean the starter isn't engaging and rotating the engine. Then you say it's begging for fuel which would have nothing to do with not turning over. That would mean it was cranking but won't start. Completely different diagnostics.

So assuming it is the latter, is your wait to start light coming on? What year is your truck? Makes a difference in some of the common issues.

How much fuel in the tank? Have you checked your oil level? Checked for the IPR tin nut being on and tight? Tried starting it with the ICP sensor unplugged?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Won't turn over is a lot different than not starting.

Open the fuel bowl drain, have someone turn just the key ON, don't start it, look for a fuel flow out the drain. What have you got doing that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys.

Its cranking but not starting. It is a 1999. The tank is full, the oil was just changed a week ago, and the Wait to Start light comes on and I try starting it when it turns off.

RT, what is an IPR tin nut and an ICP sensor?

·
Registered
898 Posts
the ipr(injector pressure regulator) goes into the hpop (high pressure oil pump)

·
Registered
527 Posts
IPR is the gold colored thing under fuel bowl. It has a nut on it that likes to fall off. ICP is the little sensor on top of driver side head with wires coming out. Unplug it to see if oil is in plug. If so ICP is bad. Open drain valve on bowl with key on to see if its getting fuel.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You need to look up all these parts and know what they are. They will be the parts that get you back on the road more often than not on these trucks. I learned a lot when I first got mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

I checked everything. IPR was tight, ICP was oil free.

It's warmed up since I first posted so I tried starting it again. It finally did. And it was rough. It died once. I started it again and it has been idling to warm up.

Any more ideas of what it could be?

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts