The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 f250, reg cab long bed laramie 4x4 auto.
The body is pretty much shot, the frame looks great, its been sitting for 5-6yrs now. The batteries were removed. 4yrs ago we charged up a couple (not sure if they even took a charge) and it didnt even click the starter.

Wife and i had plans to scrap it, but now i kinda want to get it going again. It was my father in laws, and according to the neighbor the drivetrain is good, he just set it aside because of the body, and wanted to find a southern shell to swap it over, but passed without finding one.

I can get door shells fenders a hood bed sides and a tailgate for under $500

I'll get a couple batteries, where should i start after the batteries?... just looking for guidence.

I'm no stranger to diesels, i had an 06 cummins, and now a 14 cummins, but this old school IDI stuff is new to me lol

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
...where should i start after the batteries?
Battery terminals, starter relay, starter solenoid (if equipped), frame ground, engine ground, all fluids (including coolant & brake), pressure-test the cooling system, try to prime the oil pump (AFTER changing the oil & filter)...

If it runs, try to let it warm up without overheating, and do an engine flush. Then pressure-wash as much as you can possibly reach, spray it with PurplePower/SimpleGreen, let that work for a few minutes, pressure-wash it again, and repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Always turn it so the pointer goes from BTDC to ATDC. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts