The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 F250 with a 7-3 IDI and my oil pressure is running on the lower part of the normal on the gauge been checking the oil there's enough oil in it I just need some info on what the hell is going on and another question on the 1989 did they have six digits on there odometers because mine reads 61490.3 but I'm thinking it has over 600,000 miles on it feel free to give me some info would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
The gauge is just a idiot gauge that operates off of a on off switch to make you feel good. To see the actual pressure you will need to plumb in a actual gauge. You may want to put a new sender in and see if it improves the dash reading.

As for the odometer, it is quite likely that it just rolls over when you hit a certain mileage. I am not sure on the 89 but the ones with a digital odometer only go up to 399,990 and then roll back to 000000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge is just a idiot gauge that operates off of a on off switch to make you feel good. To see the actual pressure you will need to plumb in a actual gauge. You may want to put a new sender in and see if it improves the dash reading.

As for the odometer, it is quite likely that it just rolls over when you hit a certain mileage. I am not sure on the 89 but the ones with a digital odometer only go up to 399,990 and then roll back to 000000
Thanks so much sugar britches. This is my first Diesel and I've been having to work on it myself because I don't trust nobody to work on my truck and so far it's been a real good truck it's just everything on it is original so it's just the nitpick replacing and seeing what's really out and what's not

·
Registered
21 Posts
That idiot gauge sender hits at 5-7 psi oil pressure and takes the gauge to half way or nothing

@bugman Do you know what year they stopped using a real gauge? I have a '79 with a real gauge -- just curious when it turned into an idiot gauge

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
That idiot gauge sender hits at 5-7 psi oil pressure and takes the gauge to half way or nothing

@bugman Do you know what year they stopped using a real gauge? I have a '79 with a real gauge -- just curious when it turned into an idiot gauge
I'm not real sure but I do know that they have used the idiot type gauge for a long time. It is a lot easier to run a wire than it is to run tubing, and very few had a electrical sender for the gauge. It seams like people like a gauge better than just a idiot light even if they are the same thing.

Back when I was building high performance VW engines I would include both, a red light on the dash was easier to notice in a moment than a loss of oil pressure

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts