The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this site and I have just changed my oil and air filters in my 1971 Seagrave Fire Truck it has a 8v71 and it was leaking oil. I know Detroits leak but I think it was leaking more than it should?? I don't know what type of oil was used before I got it but I used 40 wt and it doesn't seem to be leaking as much but the question that I have is where on the dipstick should I be running at? Also I don't know what the marks mean from bottom to top there are 4 marks LR HR L and H it is now between the LR and HR. It seems to be leaking down the sides of the engine near the starter and the opposite side of the starter on the block. Thanks for your help.

Bill

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
You should have air box drains on each side of the block in the area you're referring to and they will normally drip oil. What we (or at least me) used to do whenever working on a Detroit 2 cycle is slip on two long sections of 1/8"+/- vacume hose on to the little drain tubes so most of the oil drained on the ground rather than the engine area. You also could have leaking air box cover or valve cover gaskets.
Can't help you on the dipstick. Can't really remember anything different about them than any others. Maybe has to do with a fire engine application?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont remember about the markings but the oil you should run is sae 30 straight weight , jimmys are prone to excessive oil leaks, you can purchase whats called a slobber box for the excess oil to be recovered in it mounts to the engine and is easy to install. but definitely check the valve cover gaskets, cause if its sat very long without being ran they harden and crack will leak .i have a newly rebuilt 353 detroit in a log loader it leaks, the 318 detroit in my self loader truck leaks and the 8-v92 silver detroit spews oil as well. great motors for torque though.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Weather permitting you should use the 40 wt in the summer, then switch back to 30 wt in winter UNLESS you have a building for the vehicle which keeps it warm for starting. Do not let the 71 series idle they hate that and will allow oil to drizzle out the airbox drains. The ROT [rule of thumb], on the dipstick is this:" the dipstick should be marked so thet the full engine stopped level FULL will be approx. 1/2 inch below the pan rail. The add level should be approx, 3/4 inch below that". So take the dipstick and carefully place it on the outside of the guide and follow the contur of the guide and see where it indicates the F mark. My experience on a 'running level' has always been wrong. I always check with the engine off for about 2 minutes for correct oil level.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Just for information, I added 5 airbox drip units to the fire appratus trucks at the Vegas airport. I also added them to several gensets around town and with help added them to the transit coaces here as well. All the busses in the transit fleet are 4 cycle now so no drip container is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts