The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 91 f250 7.3 with ats turbo my question is can i cheat and remove the driver side head with out taking the intake off? i have a broken valve guide in #1 cyl.:ford:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Since the intake gasket (valley pan) is not reusable and it is one piece for both sides, you have to take the intake off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, i might as well change the other head gasket as well if i got tear it down that far anyway it,s got 350,000 km on it so i guess it,s time, should be fun. any other tips on doing this job ? thanks again.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The heads are very heavy. I would use an engine hoist to lift and install them. Setting them down without damage to the head gasket is difficult without some help from the hoist. If your getting a "head set" I would change the valve guide seals while they are on the bench. There is a fixture that bolts onto the heads for lifting, but I can't remember where I saw it. Seems like you could make one easy enough. If nothing else a chain with a bolt on each end and a loop for the hoist in the middle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For those without hoist or other hefty means:

For replacing the head I used the rocker arm bolt holes and some other bolts (I think they were the valve cover bolts) they were the same size. I simply wrapped some decent wire around 2 adjacent bolts several times back and forth and then tightened down the bolts. One set at one end of the head and then I could slip a steel hook of a ratchet strap under the wire between the 2 bolts. Used a steel bar across the engine compartment (fender to fender). Ratchet strap over the steel bar with hooks at each of the head. Ratcheted it up so it floated just over the block. I think the head is about 70 lbs. Very awkward without some help or mechanical means. I'd use a hoist next time, if I had one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
me and dad changed both the heads on my truck without any form of a hoist it wasnt that bad

and heres a sugjestion and it sounds like a lot more work then it is but it will be easyer to just take the hood and nose off the truck because it gives you easyer acces at the turbo and head

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
me and dad changed both the heads on my truck without any form of a hoist it wasnt that bad

and heres a sugjestion and it sounds like a lot more work then it is but it will be easyer to just take the hood and nose off the truck because it gives you easyer acces at the turbo and head

just my 2 cents
I've done 460's a few times and even a Dodge V10 head a couple of times without ANY help. Thank goodness I am getting older(wiser) and use any help I can get now..

·
Registered
343 Posts
ya i tend to forget our young ages from time to time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since this is old no one will probably see this but you can take head's off 7.3 without taking The intake loose i did both sides of my 1990 no problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts