The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The truck started after leaving it plugged on to the block heater for awhile. Plugs still didn't work. Drove it around the block, shut it off and went to start it back up the wait to start light came on and went off after 5 seconds. My engine temp light is still on but gauge reads low temp still. What is up with that

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe this will help you get started in the diag process -

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Wait to start: Check all of the glow plugs with an ohm meter. any more than about 2 ohms resistance they're bad. If the WTS light doesn't come on at all then check fuses, fusible link, and the glow plug relay.
Engine temp. light: there are two sending units, one for the gauge, and one for the light. They are single wire sending units. Unplug one of them and see if the light goes out. If it does then change that one. If neither one puts the light out, then you'll need to look for a short in the wire somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I need to get some aftermarket gauges to monitor temp and such. I am going to replace the sensor and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got rid of my glow plug controller and aaded a switch, I hate that controller It gave me hell and they always go out and at $100!! No way, I would always get 10 second wait to start one time then the rest only like 4-5 second longest I've had one was 3 months trust me the switch is the way to go and you can use the glow plugs wile you crank cold starts, it's starts so much quicker, just don't use them more than 10 seconds ldont burn them up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the reply.

How exactly did you take out the whole relay and add a switch onto your dash for it? If you have any pictures that would be great.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If you want to do that use the wire that excites the relay, and power it through a push button mounted to the dash somewhere. Or just fix your glow plugs, and wiring system and use the controller. If you keep burning them out, that is probably because you have one or more shorted glow plugs. Might be some of the wiring harness shorted, you really need to check things out before you put the switch bandaid on it. I have nothing against using a switch to operate the glow plugs, but you need to make sure that there aren't any shorts first.

I should have said terminal that excites the relay

·
Registered
339 Posts
I thought it was only the glow plug controller on the older 6.9s that had a problem.
If you had one of those, I'd definitely go with a switch.
If you decide to put one in anyway, search the forum for "glow plug controller bypass". You should find a link to a wiring diagram, if it's still up

·
Registered
694 Posts
Best way to test them is pull them and inspect them physically, and test the glow on a battery is the most certain way to see if they function.

I've tested mine with just a meter and it tested good, looked good, but didn't glow to a nice red, found another that tested good but was missing the tip!

Once going through them and replaced them, cleaned the wiring up, it cleaned it up nicely and starts great now!

You all ways start at the plugs! and work your way back checking each step.

By passing the controller is a failure to diagnose the problem IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts