The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at truck to buy, a 92 F-350 custom IDI. The only issue with it is is that it has be roll started. Once running it stays running, and once it's been running if you start it again fairly soon after shutting it down it will start again. The owners have checked the batteries, and done starter, solenoid, and glow plug relay. What does this sound like? I was thinking fuel pump, filter, or fuel line, but don't have a lot of experience. Also, out of curiosity, could I add a turbo to this motor or would that be a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Either the starter or batteries. Ain't fuel related.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Are the glow plugs any good? How long does the wait to start light stay on?

If you can count the revolutions while trying to start, then either the batteries or the starter are bad as mentioned above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So we got the truck here at my place and started tinkering. We have fuel coming to the injectors. It has new battery and starter and turns over fine, but it doesn't catch at all. It appears to have fairly new glow plugs, and it was also 35 degrees today, so I am thinking glow plugs are not the issue. We're not very experienced with these 7.3 IDI motors. We can hear a clicking when the key is in the 'on'position but perhaps that is the glow plugs. The truck starts if roll started down a hill, and then seems to run fine. Any theories? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
batteries. its turning over pretty fast. i was just doing a little online research, now wondering if perhaps the glow plugs are the issue. they look pretty new but may not be. perhaps that clicking on and off is the relay trying to send juice to the glow plugs?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Wait to start light should be on for 12-15 seconds during a cold start, then the clicking is the controller cycling the plugs. If the light is very short, make sure the controller is well grounded and if it is, then the plugs or at least one is probably bad.

If they are Autolite GP's then I would toss them asap and replace with Beru/Motorcraft ZD9's.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Other troubleshooting options
- Jump the GP relay for 10-ish seconds.
- Plug the block heater in for 2-3 hours.
If either of the above allow key starting, then the GP controller/relay are def. suspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts