The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 F700 with a 6.6L diesel engine, I've had the truck about 3 years and it runs perfectly fine when the temperature is about -20F up to 60F. Above 60F it doesn't run worth a damn, once the engine warms up if you let the truck idle or try to run it at slow speeds it starts surging like it has a plugged filter, and even if u step on the gas it won't recover. If u press on the gas and keep the revs over 1500 or so it will drop about 100 to 200 rpm and recover after 5 to 10 seconds, and do this continually. Just yesterday though it added a new symptom, I got the truck started after it died and let it idle about 30 seconds and without me touching the gas pedal it revved to about 2000 rpm on its own and then died.
To this point I've changed the fuel filters several times, the fuel pump, and have all new 3/8 rubber line from the bottom of the tank to the pump, I did all this because it acted like a fuel starvation problem before this newest rev on its own symptom.
As I said it's a 6.6 L, I believe is a Brazilian diesel but a local Ford guy told me it was a cargo diesel because it only has 1 fuel filter with a built in water separator, not the standard 2 filter design.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Did you change the fuel/water separator/filter too? There could also be something in the tank that's stuck at the pickup tube. The rev on its own is an odd one. I'm thinking the pump, maybe, but best to eliminate the other problem first. Check fuel pressure at the pump, and amount of vacuum at the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts