The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been replacing a lot of parts on this truck. It ran yesterday. Got in tried to start it and just clicks. So I replace the batteries, starter, and alternator. About a week ago I replaced the glow plug relay and the starter solenoid. Today I changed the wire down to the starter from the solenoid on the fender. Any ideas on what’s wrong?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you checked your ground that it is clean and tight? Also have tried to see if it will crank by jumping right at the starter?
What year is your truck, because the title does not make sense. Last year for a IDI is up to 94.5 , Later ones are ID power stroke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked your ground that it is clean and tight? Also have tried to see if it will crank by jumping right at the starter?
What year is your truck, because the title does not make sense. Last year for a IDI is up to 94.5 , Later ones are ID power stroke.
My bad. It’s supposed to be a 93 idi. I’ve only tried starting it from the key and the solenoid starter. Ground from the solenoid starter to the start is brand new.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Make sure you have good voltage on both sides of the start relay (the one on the fender well), check the wire that energizes the starter solenoid (the one on top of the starter), make sure it is hooked up at both ends, runs from the start relay to energize the starter solenoid. If everything is good there, check the starter solenoid. This is all assuming that you have good battery and ground connections (if it ran yesterday, it should)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you jump these trucks from the starter? Touch an insulated screwdriver to both posts? Would I need to do this even if the starter solenoid is new as well as the starter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Battery positive to the small terminal on the starter solenoid, this energizes the solenoid, the internal switch should turn the starter -- you can jump the large posts(old screwdriver) on the starter solenoid as well, that bypasses the solenoid completely

·
Registered
176 Posts
when you tried at the fender solenoid and it just clicks are you getting 12 volts through to the terminal going to the starter? That solenoid could be bad.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If all of what I mentioned is good, it's time to pull the starter. Your trouble is most likely the starter solenoid, or starter brushes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If all of what I mentioned is good, it's time to pull the starter. Your trouble is most likely the starter solenoid, or starter brushes.
The OP says he replaced the starter, but still could be a bad one. I have learnt that when they just click lots of times it is the starter, and taking them to a parts store to bench test them proves nothing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I once had an older car that did this same thing and you had to rock the car back and forth to get the starter to engage with the crank. Just a thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts