The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this saves someone some time and frustration. As a fore note, replace both idler pulley bearings as well if you're going this far, it's another $12 each...small price to save another on road failure IMO

So I was down in AZ and my wife was driving my f250 when the tensioner pulley grenaded...

I fought a red eye home and stopped at Oreilleys and picked up the replacement, and a new belt...that's where it started...

The new belt was an 8 rib and I had them double check, my belt is a 7 rib...their computer doesn't list this correctly...beware.

The new tensioner was obviously longer...

Had I read up before proceeding I would have found my answers, but I didn't, AND I tried pulling just the pulley off because I didn't have the T50 tore bit to remove the original tensioner, and snapped the bolt off the pulley because I didn't realize it was left hand threads...DOH!!!

So I went to napa and found a tensioner that looked similar to mine and a T50 bit

When I got home and removed the tensioner, the nipples on the back didn't match the one that was similar in size and also the similar sized replacement was about 1/2" thinner from front to back...

Then I read up and found my mistake, the longer one is the correct replacement. The original belt still fits, although I did use my new spare from my road side kit.

cheers all

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Yes sir! Welcome to the world of 94 weirdness. My wife was driving our 94 F350 CC DRW with 2 toddlers in the back seat near our house when the tensioner pulley grenaded. She tried to make the last corner and ended up going through the neighbor's property (pretty rural) just missing a fire hydrant! Luckily there was no damage to anything. Just in case you ever need them, here are the pulley part numbers:

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-A
(Motorcraft) YS-218

Idler Pulley, Smooth (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-C
(Motorcraft) YS-222

When I had to replace the AC Compressor, no one had a 7-ribbed pulley version. An 8-rib fit no problem and I just put the 7-rib belt in the correct grooves with no problems. Always give the parts places the correct VIN character for a 94 Powerstroke ("VIN F") otherwise you can end up with Turbo IDI parts. You can also ask for 95 parts as most of the time they are the same. Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts