The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 94 E350 7.3 IDI with an E4OD that is giving me issues. we recently took apart and rebuilt the transmission. we mounted the transmission up today filled up with oil. first thing i noticed is that i am able to shift into gear without having to push in the brake. I can go through all the gears without hitting the brake at all, but the major problem is that when i put it in any gear, absolutely nothing happens. it doesn't engage at all. Does anyone have any ideas? thanks!

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Inspect the brake light circuit thoroughly. Is there trailer wiring draped over the frame or rear bumper shorting to ground, or between wires?

You should put ALL the truck's details & history (as much as you know) into your signature so it shows with each post, as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer. Put your location (nearest city) in your profile & upload an avatar of the truck. The more pics you post (NOT in your sig) of the truck, engine, wiring, labels, & undercarriage, the more likely we can help you. Not all its details are relevant to these issues, but you don't necessarily know which ones are relevant, so just put everything in now.

· Super Moderator
9,142 Posts
The brake light circuit cannot prevent engagement. It can affect the torque converter lockup, but that doesn't matter for this problem.

Block the wheels and set the parking brake. Have someone move the shifter while someone else watches the shift lever on the driver's side of the trans. Does it move with the shift lever movement?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brake light circuit cannot prevent engagement. It can affect the torque converter lockup, but that doesn't matter for this problem.

Block the wheels and set the parking brake. Have someone move the shifter while someone else watches the shift lever on the driver's side of the trans. Does it move with the shift lever movement?
thanks for the reply! ill check it out today

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm assuming you put a couple quarts transmission fluid in the torque converter when you installed the transmission? Might want to disconnect a cooling line and make sure it's pumping ATF. If not, time to go back in that transmission and replace all the bushings again.... and this time at one or two quarts of ATF to the torque converter before sliding it on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts