The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New here and not sure if im in the right place but here goes nothing...
I have a freshly rebuilt E4OD trans in a "94" f250 7.3 Turbo. Shifts into reverse relatively hard I think and when shift into drive...feels like its in 2nd. Will not shift and OD light begins to flash on shifter. any thoughts on where to begin?
Trans shop is about an hour away and aside from dropping the trans and bringing it back there...or towing it...where can i start? I have read a few other forums and they all say to see if its throwing codes...Next question is How to retrieve the codes? OBD I...II ...or EEC V??
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
You can use the Forscan app and a suitable OBD-II port adapter (such as one of the OBD Link products) on a laptop or even smartphone to retrieve and clear codes. Most run-of-the-mill code readers for the OBD-II will not read these trucks (they are not really OBD-II). Maybe our former Ford Transmission Engineer, Mark Kovalski, will chime in but he will want to see the codes as well (otherwise you are just chasing your tail). Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,939 Posts
A '94 Turbo is not OBD-II, so you can use the procedure at www.troublecodes.net/ford to read the codes. That's the place to start.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
A question for Mark, does your comment apply to the 94 7.3L Turbo IDI (VIN "K") or does it also apply also to the 94 7.3L DIT (VIN "F", Powerstroke) which was also available (which could have either the the OBD-I or OBD-II active depending on it's current PCM programming). Thanks and Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,939 Posts
Only the IDI turbo. The DIT turbo in 1994 was manual trans only. It was not OBD-I.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Thanks! (I'm an idiot sometimes .. forgot about the manual only in 94 PSDs ... and I owned one!). Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen! its a place to start. Next question, being the truck was purchased with a blown trans...and subsequent rebuilt installed, should I try to clear any codes that may be stored first? then drive and see if the problem persists? any stored codes would be the result of the prior blown trans wouldn't they? and by the way...this is a (K) VIN

Thanks again guys

·
Super Moderator
11,939 Posts
Read the codes first, then clear them. Then drive to see if they come back. At this point, you don't know when they set.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL ok...New issue...Went to read codes this morning and have good contact on the jumpers and test light. Key in on position and i get nothing at the EEC test port??? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
11,939 Posts
That's not a new issue, it is another symptom of the original issue.

You don't have power to the EEC module. Often, that's a failed power relay that supplies power to the EEC. Once you fix this the trans will be fine.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
PCM Power Relay should be in the #1 position in the underhood fusebox on your truck. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK status report...EEC Relay changed, Bach on the road...feels a bit better but shifting must be very subtle being as i don't really feel a shift. but od lite on shifter never came back on. Now a silly question maybe, When in drive, is the starting gear 1st or second? when manually shifted into 1st, she will smoke the tires from a stand still start, but in drive, the response is not as aggressive if petal is mashed to the floor. just curious?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts