The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not too long ago I got a 1995 7.3 PSD with an auto trans and 4x4, always wanted one, and I've been loving it since I got it.

Anyway, as it's been getting colder here (Wisconsin), sometimes after I'd wait for the glow plugs to warm up, and I turn the key forward to crank it, it'd click, pause like a second or two, then start cranking.

But just yesterday, it was cold enough (about 20ish overnight, and 40ish during the day), I tried to start it, let the glow plugs cycle a few times, then I went to crank it, and it just clicked, then didn't do anything. No cranking whatsoever.

Wasn't sure on the age/reliability of my batteries, so I tried to get a jump from my friend's truck, and no luck. Still no cranking...

So I'm just wondering, what could the issue be? I'm not that skilled when it comes to diesel trucks, but I'm sure I'll be able to diagnose the issue with help of peoples here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First things to do would be:

Checking all battery and ground connections. Starter, fender mounted relay, batteries, engine and a ground post just in front of the drivers side battery. There may be other grounds I'm not aware of yet. If you find corrosion on any connections, it may also go into the wire itself

Test your batteries. While you can test for voltage with a meter, a load test wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
As mentioned, check the batteries. Have them checked individually with the cables disconnected. You may consider having your starter checked as well as they do deteriorate over the years. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for the replies. So my buddy and I decided to jump her again, this time we let the batteries charge for a long time. After some long painful cranking she started up. She's been starting ever since. Could this mean that my batteries are going? By the way there was nothing left on to drain it. Also haven't had the batteries checked yet.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
You need to put a full charge on the batteries and have them load tested. You may need to buy a charger or ask the auto parts store where you are going to have them tested if they can do it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Check the alt to be certain it's charging the batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys for the suggestions/help.
I somewhat figured out the problem...

One day when it wouldn't start at 4 in the morning, one of my buddies tried to jump the solenoid. The starter mounted solenoid wouldn't jump. The fender mounted one jumped just fine and fired up the truck.

So now, I moved to Miami, and left my truck in Wisconsin until I can bring her down, but I'm still thinking about it.

Does this mean I should now go ahead and check every connection to the starter mounted solenoid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts