The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I have a 1995 7.3 turbo diesel automatic that the steering column shift tube broke in.

While repairing the shift tube I lowered the column and the previous owner had butchered the wiring on this truck but I thought I had most of it cleaned up.

Well the previous owner have installed electric fans on the truck and ran a trigger wire into the cab and plugged into the abs fuse spot on the fuse panel i didn't catch until it got crossed on a ground and sparked and all hell has broke loose since.

The truck now won't start when the tumbler is turned to the start position, the speedometer has quit working, the odometer has quit working, if you jump the starter silenoid the truck will start and run but when you try to drive the transmission slams in every gear and acts like its floored so it wants to run every gear to the max before it slams into the next gear. The front tank when selected will show max above full when truck is running but will drop down to normal level when the truck is in key on engine off position.

The wires plugged into the abs fuse that arked literally only sparked for a second but I have a sinking feeling it burned the pcm.

Does anyone have any suggestions as my primary work truck is down getting a head rebuild and this is our only work vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
On the starting problem with the key I would say that you broke the connecting rod or the actual ignition switch has been moved to where the rod is no longer connected or is out of alignment.

The actual ignition switch is on the column near the dash.

The shifting, speedometer, and odometer may be the PSOM in the dash. That may of been damaged or became unconnected when you were changing the shift tube.

The rest of the problems can just be bad grounds on the cluster, or gauges that could of also been broken or came loose when you were working on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connecting rod is still good and works fine i checked it when I replaced the ignition switch hoping it burned when those wires got crossed.

The truck ran and drove fine prior to all of this and it was running and shifting fine prior to the wires getting crossed.

Now since these wires have been crossed the abs fuse has zero power and the wire running to the trigger terminal of the ignition silenoid is dead and has zero power.

I also tested the wires on the ignition switch for the crank position and they also have 0 power.

Is it possible it burned the ecu/pcm and thats caused a lot of these electrical issues?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your ground idea has me wondering because those wires fell down and arched right off the kick panel where the primary ground cluster is and you now have me wondering if it did not damage them when it got crossed

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Check the fuses in the under hood fuse box, other than that you may of blown a fuseable link that feeds the ignition switch.

I don't have my EVTM available right not to even tell you where to look for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive checked every fuse there is and they are all good both in the fuse panel and in the pdc.

Any chance you can get me a diagram of where the fusible links are that feed power to the ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Check # 15 in the under hood box, it is a 50 amp

Then check #18 in the cab fuse box

Sorry these are sideways, you may need to print them out or look at them on a computer where you can rotate them.

The fusable links will be coming off of the solenoid on the fender and they will feed the under hood fuse box

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok 12 ga gray is dead on the first diagram, my odometer and speedo are dead and it appears the luster is dead to, also the abs module has no power all of which I tested off the switch.

Any chance I can grab the ground wiring diagram from ya too?

Also do you by chance have a detailed wiring diagram for the fuse panel to ignition switch and the engine bay?

It really sounds like I smoked one of the fusible links that is tied to the abs module which also feeds the odometer.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you read this caption & follow the last link in it, you can download the complete Ford service disk free:

(phone app link)

The captions in this photo album explain how to install & use it.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve ty I was just looking online for the Haynes manual for this truck so I can start chasing this down. Sadly the trucks old enough and beat up enough she's not worth the struggles to rewire the whole truck and out here in ks these trucks seem to be quite the rarity for a donor and i hated to part out our old beater dump bed over a electrical nightmare...

If you read this caption & follow the last link in it, you can download the complete Ford service disk free:

(phone app link)

The captions in this photo album explain how to install & use it.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Steve do you know which fuse in the pdc the trigger wire from the starter solenoid runs to?

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Check fuse # 18 a 10 amp in the cab.

That fuse also controls the PSOM among other items where you are having problems.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
...which fuse in the pdc the trigger wire from the starter solenoid runs to?
AFAIK, none. Other than having 2 batteries, I think the diesel cranking circuit is identical to the top center panel of this diagram:

(phone app link)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts