The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i have been on the forums reading what could be wrong with my old truck and havent had much success in finding out what is wrong and why is wont start. It will crank, but seems to not be getting fuel. No smoke coming out the exhaust when its cranking. The first thing i did was replace the CPS ( i replaced it with a Motorcraft one) and checked that the tach is moving while i crank and it seems be cranking around 2-3 hundred RPMS the wait to start also comes on. I have replaced the hpop and ipr, i had the hpop prior to the no start because i had previously installed bigger injectors. the fuel bowl does refill so i assumed the fuel pumps are working and the tanks are at 3/4 and full so i know it has fuel in the tanks. I had replaced the lift pump prior because i had the engine valley all open when i installed the HPOP and had to install new up pipes because they had leaked, i havent checked the fuel pressure from the valve on the bowl but i will this week once i have a chance to get one, it has a new GP relay and glow plugs along with uvch. I did a resistance test on the harness from the idm to uvch and they all were at 2.9 ohlms. so i ordered a new idm and im its still not starting. ive been trying to do one part at a time to help elimated things. im not sure what else it could be. any help would be appreciated

The Truck is a 1995 f250 extra cab 7.3 Auto
since i bought the truck i have installed
Ts6 chip
180cc injectors
T500 HPOP
Early 99 spyder intake with 6.0 intercooler
Afe intake
rebuilt the turbo installed wicked wheel 360
new bellowed up pipes
new Lift pump
New IPR
New glow plugs and Glow plug relay
new water pump
New red head steering box
new power steering pump
new CPS
New turbo pedestal with ebrv delete
outside of performance parts i always try to install Motorcraft parts

·
Super Moderator
26,649 Posts
Holy cow - stop replacing parts willy-nilly. You'll go broke. :oops:
Start by removing the chip and see if it will start. Then check to see if it will start with the ICP sensor unplugged.
If that doesn't work, get it scanned. The parts store scan tools won't work. It has to be a Powerstroke capable scan too.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
So at what point did it quit starting in the parts list?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i bought this as a bit of a project truck. It has had a few years of neglect before I got ahold of it. I already pulled the chip. And tried with the Ipc unplugged. The only parts I bought that I didn’t plan on replacing was the ipr and idm. Other wise the rest were parts I had intended to install. also i installed the chip, injectors, glowplugs and relay, intercooler, intake, pedestal, rebuilt the turbo, powersteering and steering box 6 or 7 months ago. the no start began two weeks ago. i had already ordered the HPOP and up pipes prior to the no start...they were sitting in the garage waiting for me to have time to install them. and when i had the fuel bowl out to install the hpop i replace the lift pump while i had the valley open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have been trying to figure out where i could find a scan tool that could read it. neither of my scanners are working with it. i didnt know if its because its a 95 and hasnt had the OB2 linked to the PCM

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
90% of the scanners out there will not work on these trucks.

Look into Forscan for either a laptop or Forscan Lite for a smart phone along with a ELM 327 adapter.

For a great scan and live data tool that will do anything that you want look at AutoEnginuity

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Are you getting power to the OBD port?

Check pin 16 for voltage and pin 5 for the ground

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
What it has come down to is that with all that you have replaced you need to be able to read live data like HPOP pressure and and other sensors to find out why your truck is not starting.

There are vendors out there that will reflash your PCM but I have no idea of who they are. Ford might but you would need to get your whole truck to them for them to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I was guessing that might be the case with it being a 95. I’m going to try and manually check the oil pressure. I was going to check the screen on the fuel pressure regulator tonight and see if it was clogged also

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
A clogged FPR will not cause it to not start.

Fuel pressure will cause a problem but you said that you change out the fuel pump. But that doesn't mean that you didn't get a bad one right out of the box.

If you have the gauges and equipment you can place a high pressure oil gauge on one of the oil rails on the head to see if you are building the pressures needed to fire the injectors.

There are also reference or trigger voltages that you can check on different pins of the PCM and IDM. But you will need a EVTM to come up with these voltages.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I’ve check all the voltages. I’m an electrician. So the electrical testing has all been done. I’m going to check oil pressure and see if I’m building enough pressure to fire the injectors

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check your fuel tank selector valve to make sure it is not stuck midway closed...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tank switch is good. I’ve been trying to find a high pressure oil gauge to test oil pressure I may have to try and build one. Would the oil pressure gauge in the dash tell me if my oil pressure at the hpop is good. When cranking the gauge goes up to proper pressure

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
The gauge is only an idiot gauge. It does not have a sending unit, only a switch (ON or OFF). The gauge is set to read mid-scale above the setpoint (6 psi or so), so you might have sufficient pressure in the HPOP reservoir, but possibly not. What kind of voltage between ICP Signal and Sig Rtn are you getting at the ICP while cranking? You need at least 400 psi to start. See the chart in the attached (it will be the same for 1995) . Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Here you go (Happy Reading)! See the attached. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright so i got the injector codes cleared up, but now im getting a P0344. i am getting this code but the tach still goes up to 200 rpms or so when cranking. and the cps is new from motorcraft. i checked the connector and im getting 5v reference

1 - 20 of 24 Posts