The Diesel Stop banner

95 won't start

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  aposak 
#1 ·
my 03 - 95 7.3 won't start, was runing great no problems. it will start some times with starting fluid if pluged in to 110 ( to heat ) if it starts it runs ok so far I have replaced the cam sensor, fuel filter , o rings- ipr , engine scap no codes came up , new glow plug relay, all glow plugs good, have checked fuel seems ok. what next

#2 ·
First off, be VERY careful of using ether (starting fluid), especially with the glow plug system functional. If the ether hits the glow plugs and fires too much before a piston reaches top dead center it can bend a rod or any number of other nasty things.

Second, the engine computer has to sense a minimum RPM in order to fire the spark plugs. If yours will fire on ether then (once the RPMS come up on ether) pick up on fuel I would look at the starting (cranking) system. First thing I would do is clean all cable ends - at both batteries, at starter solenoid on the right inner fender and at the starter. Also check to make sure all the starter bolts are tight. I have had a loose starter cause a no start. If you have connections that are corroded it may cause the starter to not turn over fast enough.

Second have the batteries tested, or if they are pretty old replace them.

Third I would replace the starter. They can get weak and spin the engine what sounds like fast enough but it really is not fast enough for the minimum RPM the ECM needs to see to fire the injectors. My first starter replacement was due to this condition, after pulling my hair out for some time trying to figure it out.

This at least should get you started.

Dave / Believer45

#4 ·
When you say starter turns great mine did the same thing, sounded fine but was not quite fast enough to get to the minimum RPMs required by the engine computer. Replaced starter and mine was fine.

Same with the batteries, it can sound like you are spinning fine but it is not quite enough.

Dave / Believer45

#6 ·
I second Dave; my truck sounded like starter and batts were good, but both needed to be replaced. Batts came in at 650 and 800 CCA, respectively. Starter sounded fine, but was a night and day difference between the old and new one. They're relatively easy parts to pull off and have checked (except for one bolt on the starter... buy some socket extensions... lots of 'em).

#7 ·
Also... are you hearing the injectors firing? If you have someone else crank the engine (or jump across the starter solenoid terminals on your own), on mine I hear a snapping sound once the HPO pressure builds high enough. Mine takes 5-10 seconds, depending on how long it has been sitting, but I am pretty sure I have some oil leaking down and need to replace the injector o-rings.
If it starts and stays running with the ether, I'd guess that the starting system is not spinning the engine fast enough. If it'll only start for a few seconds with the ether, I'd look at your high pressure oil system. Either way, go by memory, and don't shoot any more ether into your system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.