The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 with 244,000 miles that has recently started running rough on occasion. I'll try to spell out my observations. Glow plugs are bad so I plug it in most days. startup, idles smoothly, occasionaly smokes a little. After warming up and driving a bit, when coming to a stop from 20mph to 5mph I can hear the engine really loping, at 5mph it smooths out. Once stopped if I put it in neutral it will idle very rough but smooths out when in gear. It doesn't always idle rough, but more often than not. while driving it feels like it's losing power, but then will pick up like it should, but it seems inconsistent with when it does it.

Current plan is to replace all glow plugs and wiring for them as from what I can find in the forum, the valve cover wiring may be burnt or just old. Fuel filter was changed recently and oil is about due for a change.

Thanks for any help or advise you can give me.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Current plan is to replace all glow plugs and wiring for them as from what I can find in the forum, the valve cover wiring may be burnt or just old. Fuel filter was changed recently and oil is about due for a change.
Start with the oil change. Have you inspected the valve cover connectors? If there is damage, it may be affecting operation of the injectors as well as the glow plugs.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Sounds like the ICP sensor is confused . BY all means check the oil level & make sure it is clean .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to change the oil tonight and the wiring and glow plugs as soon as they show up. How would I go about checking the injectors?

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
I'm going to change the oil tonight and the wiring and glow plugs as soon as they show up. How would I go about checking the injectors?
Solenoids should Ohm about 3.2 Make sure the solenoids are not loose . When its running ,oil cold observe the oil spill spouts .Make sure they evacuating oil at the same rate , then when the oil is warm , look for any oil bubling up at the base of the injectors .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts