The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed that my transmission has never shifted correctly or it doesn't shift like I think it should. To me it seems like it revs too high to shift into second maybe around 1700 rpms or so and when shifting to od the converter locks then shifts into overdrive almost at the same time. It does however shift better when you are getting on it but even then the shifting isn't constant every time I get on it; it is always different. the truck has 258k on it and it doesn't look like the tranny was replaced or anything like that before I got it. The fluid is good and at the correct level. Ive done a little research and as far as I can tell the tranny doesnt have adjustable bands? Ive been thinking about getting the transgo tugger shift kit for it but does it really pay to put it in if the trans could maybe need a rebuild. I don't care for automatics so I don't know a whole lot about them except the dollar signs can get pretty high when they need parts or a rebuild. Could it be that maybe the line pressure is too low? Also what are good mods for these trannies.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive noticed that my transmission has never shifted correctly or it doesn't shift like I think it should. To me it seems like it revs too high to shift into second maybe around 1700 rpms or so and when shifting to od the converter locks then shifts into overdrive almost at the same time. It does however shift better when you are getting on it but even then the shifting isn't constant every time I get on it; it is always different. the truck has 258k on it and it doesn't look like the tranny was replaced or anything like that before I got it. The fluid is good and at the correct level. Ive done a little research and as far as I can tell the tranny doesnt have adjustable bands? Ive been thinking about getting the transgo tugger shift kit for it but does it really pay to put it in if the trans could maybe need a rebuild. I don't care for automatics so I don't know a whole lot about them except the dollar signs can get pretty high when they need parts or a rebuild. Could it be that maybe the line pressure is too low? Also what are good mods for these trannies.
Shift kit is a good idea. Back when mines needed to be rebuilt it wouldn't stay in 3 just like your explaining. lock in then shift to overdrive too early. Any flashing codes? Hows the fluid smell? You could try changing it putting a shift kit ( just valve body mods ) and putting lucas slip stop and getting a few more miles out of it .

·
Super Moderator
12,012 Posts
A shift kit isn't going to change WHEN it shifts, just how firm it shifts. The decision when to shift happens in the computer, not the transmission. I think your problem would be solved with custom transmission software, not a shift kit.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
A cheap test . You can get a new PCM . (used about $50.00 ) TDE1 code . Its the latest code & best of the worst in shift strategies.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The PCM should have a sticker on it indicating if it's the TDE1 code. If not, the transmission shifts really dumb. I was ready to get rid of my truck when one dealer said nothing could be done. Another dealer flashed in the TDE1 program and that made the transmission livable at least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I get a used PCM with the code? Off of Ebay? Also, how much does the dealer charge to flash the code onto the PCM?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have also tried removing my pcm and there are two clip looking things on the outside of the firewall, one on each side of the pcm, that seem to be holding the pcm in place? are there bolts under the dash that need to come out before the pcm will come out in addition to the ones on the outside of the firewall?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Before you spend a dime, post ALL your truck's details. Read the caption of this diagram:

If its tires don't match that label, the fix will be really simple & free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts