The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pat
The fuel canister comes out with not too much trouble. Make sure too drain fuel out first. Just 2 bolts hold it down and some fuel lines. Not as tough as it looks. Be careful with the IPR harness where it wraps around the fuel canister

[/ QUOTE ]

I removed mine without removing anything else , with that being said ... Read this...
Hope it helps...

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Hi Rick, I have removed them as well with out touching any thing but the canister comes out easily enough to make alot of room to clean things up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

The only way oil can leak out of a good HPOP Reservoir (not cracked), is by a bad oil ring type gasket at the base of the reservoir or it by passes the IPR. In my case, it is by passing the IPR. A real bear to get at by the way! It is nearly impossible to get at with out removal of some other items. The maintenance CD I have tells you to remove the Fuel/Water seperator to gain access. Wow! But it will almost surely have to be done as I can not get any type of wrench down there to loosen and remove the IPR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did this job this week. As stated, the fuel filter reservoir is not hard to get out. You do NOT have to remove the regulator. There are two hoses on the back (to the fuel pump, one pass side and one down low), fuel drain hose on the pass side front. Two lines to the regulator, and one on the driver's side running verticle from the bottom of the bowl. The harness on the pass side of the fuel bowl has to be unplugged but not removed from the housing. Then unplug your IPR wire. The harness, the fuel regulator, and the fuel filter housing will come out as one assembly.

You may want to get some hose as well if you haven't changed out the lines off the fuel pump before (dry rot and crack) -- easy to access it while you're there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Excavator, Diesel Fan,

Thanks for for letting me know about the fuel/water seperator. It does look more complicated. I'm sure I will be removing it in the near future. That way I can replace the fuel pump hoses. Good call on that one Diesel Fan.

Rick,

Thanks a ton for that link on servicing the IPR. That is exactly what I was looking for. I might even try and make that special tool. I"ll have to see how many extra deep sockets I have laying around!

I can't believe how helpful this bulletin board has been! It will be highly recommended by me!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts