The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD Supercab XLT 7.3L PS 250k
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. Just want to thank everyone for all of the help so far! I have searched high and low for some definitive answers to my question but I could not find anyone else with this issue. So I bought my truck last August and have been fixing things with it on and off since, and one that just popped up is the oil cooler. It is leaking from the front gasket, so I cleaned up around the area and attempted to pull it off. Unfortunately, the flexible fuel lines seem to be in the way, but they truly are not very flexible when connected to either end and will not move much. I would love to just disconnect them, but they don't want to budge. The older lines from the bowl seem to be rusted in the quick connect fittings, as I can visibly see the fittings' springy tabs and the quick connect tool going in and locking but the lines will not come loose with some considerable pulling. My uncle who owned two of these said he thought he remembered having to take the fuel lines loose to do the oil cooler, but wasn't quite sure. However, it seems like no one else online mentions having to do this. Has anyone else had to pull the fuel lines loose or am I just not finding the right angle to get past them? I have the lines loose at the bowl to hopefully give me some more play in the lines but it didn't help much, but it seems more involved to pull the lines out any further and I was hoping to avoid this.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I've never pulled anything else. I think my first go around I pulled the power steering bracket, totally not necessary.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I must just not be finding the right angle. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time at this point trying to fish it through and also now disconnecting the fuel line brackets/soft hoses at the bowl! lol. I'd like to figure it out as one whole piece on the way out so I don't have issues going in as one piece.

·
Premium Member
9,857 Posts
Have you looked at YouTube?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have seen numerous videos, but many are for the 99-03 which I didn’t think had the same hard lines up to the bowl but did seem to come out relatively easily. The others I found seem to press the cooler together while the front is bolted onto the front cover which does worry me so I was hoping to avoid that, but also made me believe that maybe they just couldn’t get it out in one piece.

·
Premium Member
9,857 Posts
I took a quick look on YouTube and it looks like most of them are taking the oil cooler out in 2 or 3 pieces on the OBS trucks.

I do know that there are some on here that have removed it in a single piece and put it back together outside of the truck and put it back on in a single piece. I don't remember any of them saying that they had problems with a fuel like. It does seam like a couple have said that they removed the front tire and fender well and went at it that way, but I don't remember all the details.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Mine I pulled it towards the rear. Have to twist it back and forth a bit to clear. Worst case scenario, remove the engine mount and lift the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just following up on this. Thanks again for the help. Finally had another chance to work on this again yesterday and it was as you guys said, I just needed to stay at it and wiggle it around some more and finally I got it out. I had to push past the flex fuel lines harder than I wanted but they do in fact not need to be loosened anywhere and can get pushed aside. I’m cleaning the cooler now and have a few questions:
  1. Should I take the plug (pictured below) out to clean it? Is that PTFE thread sealant or lock tight on the plug?
  2. Should I take the snap ring out and clean the screen behind it?
  3. Should there be another screen behind the snap ring on the other side? You can see there’s only a screen on the filter side but it seems like there should be another one. Can I even buy replacement screens?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
I don't think there's any need to do any of the 3 things. The middle picture is of the filter bypass valve and there is no screen. It may look like it, but its just the fiber disc. The bypass valve is just a spring, disc and washer all held in by the snap ring. Earlier trucks were just staked in and liked to fall out. The 3rd picture is the regulator valve, again no screen. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Patrick. I did some more digging since you pointed me in the right direction and I guess I am still looking for a suggestion then on should I pull the snap rings and clean these components out just to better clean the header? I worried about getting any chemicals/solvents into the valve and disc and not fully drying it if I were to use any to clean it even if I don't go through the trouble of replacing those components (seems like a whole new header is the only way anyways which I won't be doing). I was planning on just doing brake cleaner and compressed air for the aluminum components, not totally sure on the cooler yet. All of the passages seem free and clear so I am tempted to just lightly blow it out and call it good. Also, I still couldn't find the purpose of the brass plug? You can see in the picture that it seems to be just plugging an extra hole so if that's the case I definitely won't waste time pulling it out.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I thought he pretty much had it answered for you.
Clean up the gasket surfaces, maybe the outside if you want to, then slap it back together. Make sure you lube the orings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, but guess I should have been a little more concise with my questions! After rereading both my question and Patrick's response I do think I asked one of the questions again so I apologize for that one! I have it all cleaned and ready to reassemble/reinstall this evening. Just want to say thanks again for everyone's input. I do have one follow up question just for my own knowledge, and that's what is the brass plug's purpose? It literally seems like it's doing nothing except maybe a drain plug.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Iirc, just a pressure test port.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts