The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new member/first post. I have a 97 F250 7.3L Turbo Diesel Powerstroke Automatic and it has a few issues currently but the present stoppage is due to failure to start. I use it every day to mule my work trailer and machine or drive to job sites. I used it the day before, next morning when I go to start dash lights are weak and fade to nothing when I turn to WTS. Hooked it up to the charger/jump starter, battery read 88% with "Low" reading from alternator. I put the charger in "Jump Start" mode and turn key to start. Dash lights stay strong, WTS cycles normally but when I turn to crank starter clicks but no crank.

Other issues that may/may not be related:
*transmission position sensor in need of replacement(advised by trans shop)
* OD button mostly non-functional (suspect short in wiring in column)
*Passenger side R-ABS occasionally sticks (passenger rear brake occasionally fails to release when pedal is released)
*missing on at least one cylinder
*Battery light comes on seemingly at random, sometimes flickering, sometimes solid (battery gauge shows roughly 13)

Related repairs made in the past year of ownership(going backwards chronologically):
*alternator replaced (03/21-2019 remanufacture)
*replaced battery harness (02/21-used-main mess of cables connecting two batteries and errthing else)
*Battery Replaced (02/21-New)
*Battery Replaced (8/20-New)
*Transmission service (7/20-trans was stuck in "low power mode")
*alternator replaced (5/20-2019 remanufacture)

I'm really at a loss, batteries now charged to 100% with same results. The low alternator reading is noted, but seems like that shouldn't produce the symptoms I'm seeing. Short/faulty ignition and/or starter relay has been suggested. I have a basic understanding of engines, new to diesel. TIA

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Welcome!

Note that the glowplugs take a ton of power at startup. I would probably have the starter checked. What happens if you jump the starter relay on the passenger fender, same results? Cheers!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would start with checking the batteries, even though they have been replaced to make sure not a dead cell in one, check each by it's self. Don't waste your time pulling starter and have it bench tested at a parts store. Proves nothing other then if bendix works and starter turns over. A diesel starter need to be load tested which most parts stores can't do. Also check connections . and maybe disconnect batteries overnight to make sure there is not a draw happening. Could have a weak or bad starter too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would start with checking the batteries, even though they have been replaced to make sure not a dead cell in one, check each by it's self. Don't waste your time pulling starter and have it bench tested at a parts store. Proves nothing other then if bendix works and starter turns over. A diesel starter need to be load tested which most parts stores can't do. Also check connections . and maybe disconnect batteries overnight to make sure there is not a draw happening. Could have a weak or bad starter too.
And the batteries need to be load-tested. The light weight computerized testers that attempt to calculate what a battery does under load are worthless except for the likes of Autozone to dodge battery warranty claims.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts