The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says. Bought a 97 250 that has a broken rear leaf. Not one that mounts, so it's not what I would call "critical", but needs fixed. Buy a used stack from a salvage yard or...? I vaguely remember reading about different code springs. If that is right, how do I know what I have and what I need?
AaronSEIA

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
You can find the spring code on the sticker on the drivers side door frame. It will be under SPR and will be a 2, 3, or 4 number/letter code.

Then you can go here and find out how to figure it out. It is suggested that you replace both at the same time.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Have a good look at the spring hangers and shackles as well...they are very prone to rot and eventual failure.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Had a busted right rear spring for several years so I finally did both rear springs on my 94 this past spring and the ride height is a lot nicer now. Usually if you do just one, the truck will be slanted the other way.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I have A codes. The same thing they used on half tons according to the web site above. Seems light for a 3/4 ton truck. There are only 4 leaves in the stack. Would now be a good time to jump to a heavier spring stack, or does that turn into a lot of work and $$$. The ones I need are only $120 per side plus hardware.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Make sure you're looking at the right row. Ford used the same code for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton for 1997, but they are not the same spring. Notice that the Notes column for spring code A for the 97-03 row says "except 97 F250/F350". This means that their part number in that row is for the 1/2 ton A codes, not the HD truck A codes.

Use the row above it for 96-97 A codes. The notes in that row say except F150. There's a different part number for each row. You want the 43-803 from that chart.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I selected. The heading for the 43-803 is as follows:
"1980-1996 Ford F150 4wd, F250 2wd 4wd - Leaf Spring (Rear - 4/1 Leaves)"

Surprised to see the same springs on a half ton. Also not sure about the 4/1 thing? I can't make the link from their web site work to explain that part. I only have 4 total leaves on each side. Seems odd to use the same spring on a 150 as an 8800 GVWR 250.
AaronSEIA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts