The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took my truck into the shop. My truck ran rough and sometimes wouldnt start. Then it got to the point where it wouldnt start and if I could get it to start it ran rough. Took it to a mechanic he fixed som grounds and then swapped out the pcm. It now starts, but blows bluish smoke. And runs rough at idle. Also, along with that my alternator stopped charging. What would cause this bluish smoke and how come my alternator all of a sudden stopped charging? Possible fusible link blown?

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
First things first: Get the charging problem fixed. Low voltage can cause all kinds of weird things to happen with the electronic end of things (like the PCM). Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First things first: Get the charging problem fixed. Low voltage can cause all kinds of weird things to happen with the electronic end of things (like the PCM). Cheers!
Thank you! I will do that. Trying to figure out if the fuseable link is bad or if there is a ground connection. I test the power to the alternator and there is 12 volts going to it. When I ran the truck, the battery voltage stayed at 12.15 volts. So the alternator isnt kicking on at all. How would I test the alternator itself to see if its good or if its missing a ground.

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
Check the wiring at the alternator carefully as it can get jacked up with folks working on the motor, etc. Most shops should be able to test the alternator. Does your battery light come on prior to starting and then go out after starting? Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the wiring at the alternator carefully as it can get jacked up with folks working on the motor, etc. Most shops should be able to test the alternator. Does your battery light come on prior to starting and then go out after starting? Cheers!
I'm not sure when it goes off or on. I had just driven it yesterday and I didn't notice it on. And then after I let it sit for a while. When I went to start it the battery light was on. I pulled the alternator out this morning and will look for a place that will test it. Any recommendations if its shot what I should do? Reman, new, rebuilt? I saw autozone will test for free, but not sure how good their alternators are.

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
I'm sure it's hit or miss with the AutoZone units. I've been running one for a number of years now with no issues. I went with that due to a lifetime warranty and they are everywhere so if I'm on the road it's not too much of a problem to exchange it. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Testing the alternator is a crap shoot.

I had one that was fine under 2000 rpm's but above that it would cut out. I replaced it with another one that did the same thing. I went through 2 more before I actually got one that worked. They were from NAPA and their rebuilders. Any of the other parts stores will be about the same.

All you can do is to replace it or find a local shop that will rebuild it and then cross your fingers. But I have always had the best luck with local shops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts