The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 Ford F250 SD , 7.3 turbo diesel , 2 wheel drive , with automatic transmission (E4OD?? I THINK)

always.... i bought this truck and it has been sitting for a about 10-12 months cause it needed four tires .. i bought the truck and put tires on it, two batteries and started it, it ran perfect and drove perfect

after driving it about 10 miles i pulled up at the house and decided to do a burn out, it spun the tires over about 1 turn then started slipping and now it doesnt have reverse and seems to try to pull in neutral, drive pulls but it shifts through the gears very fast(goes in overdrive at about 20mph)

HEARD MAYBE VALVE STUCK??
HEARD MAYBE REAR END SPEED SENSOR??
HELP HELP HELP

·
Super Moderator
11,782 Posts
You need to pay someone to read the codes in the PCM. The places that read codes free won't be able to read the codes that you need.

It can't be a stuck valve, it shifts. It probably isn't a speed sensor.

When you did a burnout did you rev it in neutral and drop it in gear at a high RPM?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i held the brake while the truck was in drive, some one told me it could be the forward clutches since it feels like it is trying to pull in neutral (it does not move, just feels like it wants too) and for me to have trans code will there be any lights on my dash?

·
Super Moderator
11,782 Posts
If there are trans codes stored the OD OFF light on the end of the shifter will flash. Does the OD OFF light work if you press the button on the end of the shifter?

Not having reverse and upshifting very early sound like two different problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what year and model vehicles can i use a transmission out of for my truck? Can i use E-series vans and/or f150, f350, etc etc?

·
Super Moderator
11,782 Posts
You can use F-series and E-series two wheel drive transmissions from 1994-1997. It MUST come from a truck with a 7.3L. 1989-1993 will fit, but those transmissions had a lot more problems than the later ones.

A 1997-2003 4R100 will fit (as long as it is a diesel two wheel drive) but there are some internal parts that are not compatible. It will work, but the torque converter locks will be very harsh. It would be unpleasant to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got me a trans out of a 96 E250 van that had the 7.3 in it... so far so good as far as the trans goes

sometimes i push the gas pedal it does nothing(just keeps idling) and the "check gauges" light comes on, i can pump the pedal a few time then it goes, BUT the trans will shift very fast through the gears. i can stop and turn the truck off and restart and put it back in gear and it will works fine. this only happens every now and then

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
A used tranny will not last if you drive it hard like that The E4OD is known for torque converter being weak and not handling the torque of anything over stock HP & torque levels.

My boy went through 3 trannies in a year, two were built by a race shop and they all failed. The BTS tranny in it now has held up fine for 6 years and you will not find a much better tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts