The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 97 powerstroke it starts and drives but won't go over like 25-30 then the check engine light comes of and pretty much gone into limp mode tell i shut off the truck and start it back up. I just replaced the accelerator pedal sensor and it still dose it. The cranke sensor has been replaced and the sensor on the valve cover.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Is this something new? Does it happen when the the truck is warm? What is air temp when it happens? DENNY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this something new? Does it happen when the the truck is warm? What is air temp when it happens? DENNY
Well its been doing it since I bought it. I've replaced the silinder 5 injector cuz thats what I was told was wrong. The previous owner replaced all sensors under the hood and injector gasket

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
You really need to get the code read by a reader that will read a Ford diesel codes. Most of the readers out there will not read them. If you are a hands on type of person look into ForScan with a ELM 327 adapter to plug into the OBDII port.

Try unplugging the map sensor on the firewall above the turbo and see what happens. With it unplugged the PCM will set it in the default mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really need to get the code read by a reader that will read a Ford diesel codes. Most of the readers out there will not read them. If you are a hands on type of person look into ForScan with a ELM 327 adapter to plug into the OBDII port.

Try unplugging the map sensor on the firewall above the turbo and see what happens. With it unplugged the PCM will set it in the default mode.
Ok I will try that tomorrow thank you. I've taken it to a diesel mechanic he cleared the code and then he could only start it it ether I've put two brand new batterys and now it starts a little rough at first. And when you try and read the check engine light it shuts the truck off and the code goes away once that happens.

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Did he tell you what the code was before he cleared it?

If the CEL light comes on it will store the code in the PCM until it is cleared.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did I read "Ether"? Do not use ether. As for the stalling when reading code, try key on engine off when reading the code. It will be stored in there. What reader are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what one it is and I no not to use to much no he just said the only thing he could come up with is that is has low fuel pressure

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
A code reader won't read the fuel pressure on these trucks, you need to install a gauge to read it.

Or you can ******* one by using a pencil type air pressure gauge and checking the pressure on the Schrader valve on the side of the filter housing. You should have 20psi + when cranking and 50psi +when running.

If you plan on doing it this way wrap the gauge in a rag unless you want a diesel bath.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
No there isn't.

A proper working glow plug system along with the block heater is all that is needed.

With your truck being a 97 it may or may not have the cord for the heater. If it does it will plug into the element right above the oil filter. If there isn't a orange cord there then all you need to purchase is the cord.

Did you ever get the codes read again and if so what were they?

Reactions: combatvolcano

·
Registered
259 Posts
I might ad on top of the proper working glow plug system. Two healthy batteries. But yes, all these things combined you will never need or should use starting fluid or any other such thing. Some may argue that if you disable the Glow Plug System you would be Ok, but why would you do that when it is what helps start your cold engine in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts