The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 97 powerstroke, recently ran it low on fuel(or so i thought)

got it home, started up fine, ran rough on load. drove it to oreilly's and it died on the way back.
Read online to pull the fuel filter cap, drain it, and prime it.

tried that, but the fuel pump wouldn't prime after turning the key.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Try switching tanks. It's possible your fuel pump died on you.
AaronSEIA

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
You have a mechanical fuel pump not a electric so you will need to have the engine turning over. Also the fuel system is self priming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just keep driving it. I know I went through the same thing with my first Powerstroke. But that's about all you can do if you don't have an electric fuel pump added. My 97 is electric now so I just turn the key on and let it run till the fuel pressure gauge looks good and it's bled. Don't go out and blow a bundle on an electric aftermarket setup either. You can build a system yourself just as good as anything they sell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just keep driving it. I know I went through the same thing with my first Powerstroke. But that's about all you can do if you don't have an electric fuel pump added. My 97 is electric now so I just turn the key on and let it run till the fuel pressure gauge looks good and it's bled. Don't go out and blow a bundle on an electric aftermarket setup either. You can build a system yourself just as good as anything they sell.
How'd it run when it happened to you?
mine idles pretty rough and sputters the more i get on the throttle - doesn't like revving out, and it'll eventually die if i drive it too much.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Get a tire pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure. I think you need around 40-50 lbs at idle. You can rig up a real gauge on a hose and check it while driving to see if it's dropping. Also might want to check the screen in the fuel pressure regulator (fpr). They can get gunked up.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get a tire pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure. I think you need around 40-50 lbs at idle. You can rig up a real gauge on a hose and check it while driving to see if it's dropping. Also might want to check the screen in the fuel pressure regulator (fpr). They can get gunked up.
AaronSEIA
62 lbs is primo pressure

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a 97 powerstroke, recently ran it low on fuel(or so i thought)

got it home, started up fine, ran rough on load. drove it to oreilly's and it died on the way back.
Read online to pull the fuel filter cap, drain it, and prime it.

tried that, but the fuel pump wouldn't prime after turning the key.

any ideas?
I'd suggest you not pour fuel into the fuel bowl unless you filter it first - you risk clogging your injectors. The filter is there for a reason.

If you are not getting fuel to the bowl, it can be caused by a broken pickup tube in the tank, a clogged selector valve, clogged fuel lines, bad fuel pump, or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Switching tanks and/or adding fuel to the tanks should rule out a broken pickup tube.

Disconnect the flexible fuel lines (up near the steering gearbox), remove the fuel tanks filler caps, and push compressed air back towards the tanks. Don't use more than 20 psi or so - none of that system is built to withstand much pressure.

If the FPR is stuck open, you won't build fuel pressure as all fuel is being returned to the fuel tank - the path of least resistance. To make that path more resistant, you could pinch the return fuel line. If you do this, pinch the (cheap) rubber hose up near the fuel bowl, and not the (expensive) flexible line down by the steering gearbox ;)

Replace the fuel pump only after checking everything else first.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Could you post more info on your e-fuel setup, I am tired of replacing fuel pumps on mine....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts