The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
Replace the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) It is also called the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor.) It is on the driver's side of the trans. This is a common failure mode, random shifts to first gear with no code set.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mark,
When I started this thread last year that was one of the first things you recommended.
I replaced the TRS at that time.

I didn't buy a Ford TRS though and I did not replace the plug pigtail.

So are you suggesting the TRS I did buy was defective OR should I replace the plug as well as the TRS? I'll do whatever it takes to get this cleared up.

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
It could be the wiring to the TRS. I've used aftermarket TRS without a problem. It's always possible that the new one is defective. Nobody makes 100% perfect parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
An update:
I've driven the beast for over a year now, about 1 or 2 times a month.
Not hauling anything.
No problems.
Until September 2017 (last week). Then it did the same thing, dogged out on me with high rpms, no code, no od light, and I had to drop it into 2nd.

Tried the pull over and count to 120 with the engine off.
That didn't work.
Drove it about 1/2 mile in 2nd gear, and tried shifting to Drive. It hard shifted big time, then hard shifted to 4th.. then has been smooth ever since.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey, justwondering I sent you a message check your private messages. Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I hate when a thread just ends with no resolution... however, life got in the way of many things.

About a month ago, I started back in on the Dually.
When last I left it it was October 2017 and the solution proposed was to send the PCM (brains for the truck - sits inside the firewall just in front of the driver seat side.
Sent off my PCM with money to a place that Mike (themule67) suggested and got it back in a timely manner.

Did not fix the issue.

lots of family issues and now things have settled down.

I mentioned my problem to Andy (manager at the local O'reilly) and he runs a 97 ford diesel. we walked out to his truck in the parking lot and discussed issues. Settled on the ICM (Injector Control Module).

The ICM sits on the driver fender well just a few inches from the fuse box under the hood.

Changing the ICM did fix the problem of not wanting to crank; however, the loud pop indicated I had a new problem.

Pulled the battery cables again (as I did each time prior to replacing PCM and ICM).
Checked every fuse. All was good except the blased 30Amp for the trailer towing. Its always an issue.

Further research indicated it might be a relay.
Tested the horn. It worked. So I swapped each of the other 3 relays one at a time with the horn relay and tested the horn each time. Sure enough, one of them failed to sound the horn. Dead relay.

Replaced the dead relay and I still could not get it to run.

Checked the fuel bowl -- no fuel. I did put in a new fuel filter.

Manually filled the fuel bowl with diesel. Tried it again and IT CRANKED AND RAN!!!!!!!

Right up until about 1/2 of the fuel in the bowl was gone and then is died.

My new symptoms are:
1. Fuel tank gauge for both front and rear tanks always shows pegged out higher that full. Never changes.
2. No fuel is entering bowl unless I manually fill it from a can.
3. Fuel is in each tank; however, it is orange. Not light orange but in your face bright orange.

Until I can fix the fuel problem, I won't be able to know if I've fixed the shifting struggles.

Its dark now, so tomorrow I'll clear out the DTC's and refill the bowl and run it again to get some diagnostics.
And yes, the fuel had diesel treatment put in it about every 6 months since Oct 2017 --- but its now march 2020.

I'm thinking I should pull the bed, pull the sending units, check & clean the sending unit or replace as needed, flush the tanks, replace the fuel lines to the fuel bowl.... unless someone could recommend an alternative.

JW

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey, justwondering sorry, that you're still dealing with this i'm not familiar with your fuel issue so, I will let someone else, make suggestions on that. You had me wondering if I made the wrong suggestion about sending in your PCM I had to go back and read my comments. I had told you that my last time that mine had done the hard shifting it was my instrument cluster the circuit board had cracks in it. Did you actually send in your PCM or did you send in your Instrument cluster?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I sent in my PCM. The cluster tested fine down at the mechanic, but the PCM was erratic. It was definitely not consistently sending info out.
I sent the PCM out to get rehabbed.
That cleared up the sending side.
However, the ICM was not receiving. Got the dreaded P1668 error and I could not get it to communicate with the ejectors to complete a buzz test when using my scanning OBD2 scanning software.

The ICM was a painful expense... every painful. However, as soon as it was all connected back up, everything communicated and the buzz test worked. Like a new truck.

Except for that pesky part of no fuel. lol

JW

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hopefully, your shifting problems will be solved because that will definitely damage the transmission. Just so you know when my mechanic tested my Instrument cluster it also, tested good at the time but, because of the cracks in the circuit board it would cause intermittent connection on the tracer lines on the board and then my truck would start with the hard shifting it would go hundreds of miles doing just fine and then it would start with the hard shifting and sometimes it would do it within 20-50 miles. My mechanic was at a loss as to the hard shifting because, he ohmed my complete wiring harness which was all good and he tested everything that he could that would cause the hard shifting. He told me his best educated guess at that point was still something wrong with the Instrument cluster even though it tested good at the time. So, sending in my Instrument cluster was a hail mary to hopefully, find something wrong that would cause it. I figured I would only be out the shipping if they would not have found anything wrong plus the few day down time. Yeah, the only fuel problems that I ever had was a couple fuel pumps over the years and having to rebuild my fuel filter housing. Good Luck! and keep us posted

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'll let you know.
Right now I'm down to 1 vehicle and just got in the bypass module for the failed anti-theft module (bmc) in my 2003 suburban. Once I have it running again, I'm back on to the dually.

JW

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had to deal with the anti-theft on an 02 jeep liberty that I bought. I was able to buy a new PCM with the security delete so I will never have that problem again. It's fully insured if someone wants to steal let them. Lol

41 - 52 of 52 Posts