The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found where fuel is leaking (and hoping it's the only one)!

The leak isn't just in the compression fitting it is also where it threads into the block. As we can see there is no room to give that fitting a few turns so...... That's why I'm here looking for advise from the experts.

Does the turbo have to come off or can I get the exhaust out of the way?

Whats the preferred ($) method and what parts should I anticipate needing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Are you sure the leak isn't traveling down from the compression fitting? Just trying to be "hopeful"... I'm not sure if just exhaust removal will get you the clearance. I would say that it would be a great time to closely check your up-pipes and such.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had hoped for that to be true as well, but it's leaking from both points. Guess it's time to pull the turbo darnit! And do as you suggested, wish I had found that leak last month when I replaced the tranny.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My 97 was puddling fuel under the turbo but it turned out to be the fuel pump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to remove the turbo and up pipe to get a turn on the fitting. I guess I can count myself as lucky since the fitting only had a quarter turn before it fell out, 260K miles and that sucker was always like that! Also found that the second o ring on the turbo was leaking but that was it for leaks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is crazy that it lasted that long without leaking. I checked that area yesterday on my truck (298K) just to see if that is where my leak is, but no. I am pretty sure it is the lift pump. Either you keep that thing clean as a whistle or you cleaned it up to find the leak. Both of my trucks look terrible under there. Are you running a diesel additive to fight the Ultra low fuel? I think that is why two pumps went out in my one 97 before I figured it out and the other is going in my newest 97 because the PO did not run additive. Could also be because of age and mileage, but as I always look at it a couple of dollars in prevention are worth thousands in repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not run any additive (yet), I never let a tank get below a 1/4. I was thinking of running sea-foam through the fuel and read somewhere that I should put it into the oil as well. I am not to sure about that, what is the general consensus ? I run synthetic where I can (tranny/engine).

I try and keep her as clean as I can to assist in locating any leaks, which kinda screwed me with this one, it ran clear until it got behind the block and picked up oil where I can't reach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts