The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently at 240k miles. A few months back I repaired the fuel pump, fuel lines, alternator and both batteries. It’s been running fine until this past weekend while loading the truck while running it just shut off. I cranked it again and it ran fine for about 10 seconds then started idling really rough and check engine light came on. I did this a few times and the same thing. After sitting for a few hours I went back out to move it back onto the driveway and it ran fine. So I was thinking possibly it’s the valve cover gaskets? I’ve pulled the plugs on both sides and on the drivers side I have some oil in the plugs***I also pulled the plug that had oil while the truck was running rough and it didn’t change anything. I’ve read around online and I’m thinking this is the source. What else could be a possibility I know there are a few sensors but I’m not sure of the symptoms each would show. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
With the check engine light you really need to get the code read by a code reader that can read Fords diesel codes. Check into Forscan for this.

For the problem I would guess the under valve cover wiring or the pass through connection on the valve cover. If the IDM senses a problem it can shut down that side of the engine until the problem is fixed or when the engine is shut down which may clear the problem temporarily

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up I went ahead and ordered all new motor craft glow plugs and the valve cover gasket kit. Tonight I pulled the drivers side and found this no damage to the outer plugs just the one inside on the rear. Replacing the passenger side aswell as a precaution aswell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another problem doing the other side(passenger) removing glow plugs one snapped off leaving just the bottom element sticking out. Trying the method of soaking it for a while , vice grips, small taps and pulling to get it to break free. So far after a few hours no real progress. May let it soak overnight and try again.

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
Yep, those melted connections will cause problems.

On the stuck glow plug, a member from a long time ago made a slide hammer with a pair of needle nose pliers by replacing the adjustment bolt with a longer one and using a large acorn nut as the hammer. He then would attach the pliers to what was left of the glow plug and push it into the cylinder and then used the slide hammer action to pull it back out.

Another thing that you can try is some Quicksilver Power Tune from Mercury and Mercruiser to dissolve carbon build up in marine engines. If you have a boat shop in your area you could see what they have to help break up the crud.

Quicksilver Power Tune

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s my approach now using a rigged up dent puller to some pliers. Not much progress letting pb blaster work on it tonight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not looking good so I did a few up and downs and with a smaller set of locking pliers. I got it to come out but....not all of it. In the picture is a glow plug I broke apart to compare what came out the bottom 2 inches or so is still in there. These are motorcraft plugs aswell. I’m not really sure what to approach now I feel this is worst case and I may have to have the heads pulled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve been reading maybe try removing the injector and using compressed air? Also I came across some glow plug removal kits for this problem drilling it out. I’ll start with compressed air as a first try. Any one used the removal tool?

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
I have never heard of the tip breaking off inside of the cylinder when trying to remove a stuck one.

Can you compare it to one of the others that you pulled? Looking at the picture the one that broke looks like it is the same length as the other one next to it.

We need to get someone here that has experienced a broken one or knows better what they look like to compare them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll explain the picture better so the middle in picture is what I removed from the glow plug sleeve on the left. The far right is what broke off of the one that is still stuck so as you can see In The middle picture it goes from one thickness to a slightly smaller thickness that’s where it separated on the far right in the picture. Therefore leaving the bottom element inside the hole still stuck. Which is roughly 2-2.5 inches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what is stuck is what is pictured on the left at the bottom thick thickest part of the element.

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
I don't think that you have anything to worry about with it.

As I said I haven't had the privilege of pulling my glow plugs yet but I believe that the element is a solid piece and may wear over time.

What I would do is to send a PM to Ford Doctor on the site here and ask him. He works at a dealer and I am sure that he has seen his share of old plugs

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent him a private message thanks for recommending him. Talked with some family friends that do work and recommended a few shops locally they know to ask aswell if it gets beyond wht I can do. I’ll keep the post updated to help others and please anyone with other ideas I’m all ears.
I was reading one guy used the sleeve modified it with a bolt where it was longer and put in weld inside it and slid it down over the stuck element. Let it sit and that allowed him to be able to work on it again to pull it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts