The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been researching this for awhile and haven't found definitive information without going and finding parts to physically try it. Hoping someone else has already. I want to know if I can swap out just the hubs from an 07+ axle onto my 2000 axle. The key thing I read was this:
"The Outer Wheel Bearings and Cups are the same for all years, but the inner wheel bearings will vary by build date. For the 2005 Model Year, Ford switched a larger inner wheel bearing and wheel seal. In mid model year 2006, Ford switched back to the smaller inner bearing previously used on 1999-2004 models. "

This is semi-confirmed by looking at bearings and hubs online; seeing "99-04 & 07-16" overhaul kits (and hubs), and "05-06" parts. Here is what I do know (note this pertains to DRW trucks ONLY which all have a Dana 80)

99-04 8x170mm wheel bolt pattern, small inner bearing hub
05-06.5 8x200mm, large bearing hub
06.5 (lets call it 07)-16 8x200mm, went back to small bearing

From scouring part numbers and the information I can find, it looks like 07-16 hubs use the same o-ring, inner and outer bearings.
The brake rotors bolt under the hubs, so I don't think the hub change will affect that.

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts
If you have the Dana sticker with Bill of Materials number on each axle, there's a Dana site where you can access the BOM. That would be the way to make sure what you're getting from the 06.5 or later axle is the same as your 2000.

I assume you're wanting to switch to later wheels that have a different offset.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the Dana sticker with Bill of Materials number on each axle, there's a Dana site where you can access the BOM. That would be the way to make sure what you're getting from the 06.5 or later axle is the same as your 2000.

I assume you're wanting to switch to later wheels that have a different offset.
OK Thanks, that could be useful, I'll look it up.

I am wanting to switch to later wheels because the 99-04 DRW are prone to cracking; I've had to replace 3 of the 4 aluminum ones over the last few years (which I had fortunately stashed a few away arbitrarily 15+ years ago) and I'm out of spares now! All three had split completely around the inside circumference. Now that I'm out they are near impossible to come by around here (last one I saw go for $400). Also 16" tire availability is not great, 17s would be more convenient, and I have a set of 05+ rims already - So if this hub switch is doable, it's kind of the last piece of the puzzle and hoping to gather up parts before either another wheel cracks, or I need new tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I was wondering if this has gone anywhere. I have been considering doing the 05+ front axle swap and honestly don’t want to swap the rear end if it’s just a bolt pattern change. So I was wondering if the hubs where easily changeable like what you are suggesting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope - Parts availability. The front adapters are available with a little digging (can find on ebay and even locally from people parting out trucks), but the rear hubs have been impossible to find short of buying ones new - Which is as much as buying wheels. I found a few rear axles but unsurprisingly no one will part them out as they seem to sell whole for good money. I am 100% certain the fronts will bolt right on, and 95% certain the rear ones would work (2006.5+ hubs) as all of the bearings interchange as I noted above. So then it comes down to axle swaps which is cost prohibitive compared to the cost of buying aftermarket wheels if the goal is wider rims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts