The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99.5 started stumbling/losing power last week. Then it would wake up and run normal. Finally got codes B1318, P0303, P1316, and P1247. So with this info I did the 50 cent mod. Found the passenger UVC loose and easy to separate so figured I had it fixed and went a did the drivers side. Drove fine the day. Next day, same issues of running fine the rough idle. I power four cylinder shake. The IDM was changed 9-10 years ago. ICP changed maybe three years ago. Truck has 138,000 on it. Only mods are Banks stinger and Wicked Wheel2 when I replaced the clutch and uppipes two years ago. The Banks chip is tight to the PCM( had it shut down from being loose before and this is different. Any ideas/ things to check further would be great. Is it just time for valve cover gaskets and new harnesses?

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
It might be, but you might just be throwing money at it. The P1316 tells you there are IDM codes. You have to run an injector buzz test to get those codes so that would be your next step. The P0303 indicates a misfire in cylinder 3, so that might be a hint, but you really need those injector codes first. After you get them - post back.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
As long as we're making wild guesses - I would say a wiring issue that shuts down that bank after it runs a bit. I still say getting the codes first makes more sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wild guesses huh. Never hurt anyone to take a minute and investigate with thier own two eyes and a few tools Codes are great but only get you so far. And yes your right wiring issue is always suspect

·
Registered
34 Posts
Funny one of this sites super moderators said that wasn't a thing with it shutting down a whole bank ahhhhhahaaaaaa. Silly nonsense I knew it was a thing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I posted last I replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket and UVCH. No change. Then I finally got ForScan up and running. Had tons of weird codes stored, mostly for low battery voltage and batteries disconnected. In my research I noted that the grey CPS was getting error codes on cylinders 3 and 8. So Monday I changed the grey CPS out for and old black one I have. Truck ran great for over 50 miles Tuesday, then had that right side stumble for about 30 seconds then ran fine the last mile home. No codes stored, but when checking I found these PERDELs and maybe this helps
Cylinder 1:.25-.63
2: 0-.06
4:.75-1.00
5:1.13-1.81
I get nothing from cylinders 3, 6, 7, or 8. Is this normal or is this from that old black CPS. The wiring harnesses to the valve cover gaskets look fine with no external rubbing that I can see. Is there something else to test? The IDM is a replacement for the original that was done in 2011 or 2012. The replaced IDM is from Auto Computer Exchange. We’re those not we’ll made? When the original died, truck had snow on it, fired right up and ran for 1-2 minutes then died. Found dead codes for it right away and borrowed my neighbors IDM to verify it was toast. Moved to Montana last fall, so is it likely this IDM is not holding up to the heavy downpours and heat/cold swings.
sorry for long post, but really want to fix this before winter gets here.
thanks for everyone helping.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check the wiring harness at the big connector right above the drivers side valve cover. It is held together with a 10 mm bolt, and the loom loops towards the valve cover. The insulation will rub if you don't protect it, eventually causing a short. If you look up the "GB Tech Bulletin #103" it tells you how to check all the wiring from the IDM before you go and replace it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just tested all of the wiring from the IDM per GB TB 103. All 8 injectors test at 2.9. Both open circuit tests show nothing going to ground. This IDM was replaced with a rebuilt one in April of 2012. I don’t hear any water in it, but the sealant on the case isn’t exactly looking like the brightest guy in the shop did it. Kind of stumped at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So at what point are you going to do a visual inspection of the injectors with the motor running and the covers off to see if there's fluid pumping through them and never hurts to ohm test the injectors as well. I feel like your problem isn't idm or anything else it's going to be easier than you think to fix

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is, this problem is intermittent. It ran fine just now, so I know the injectors are all getting oil. It doesn’t quit just because of a rough road either. I hit the throttle shifting from 2-3 and it fell apart for a mile then ran normal the ref of the way. Tried to pull codes but there were none.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did you physically check the wiring harness over the DS valve cover? The short could be intermittent caused by any kind of movement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did, but I’m gonna get another look at it again I guess. My original codes when this started in July were P0303, P1247 and P1316. None of these have come back other than the P1247 since I got ForScan.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went through the wiring loom Saturday. Found one wire(red with white stripe) that was bent in the loom and relieved pressure point going over power steering line. Also lifted the harness up in the valley under the turbo to relieve stress in that section. No wires were chafed and no exposed copper anywhere. So I drove it about 30 miles on rough bouncing potholed pavement with 4 miles of washboard dirt road and ten miles of interstate at 65-80. Ran perfect. Hoping that fixed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts