The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've caught a few things he said, and thought NO!!!! But alot of the stuff he shows in the videos is Awesome to see because you can't find actual video anywhere else. Everyone has their own opinions, that's ok. I know for a fact that the oil in my high pressure reservoir was gunky. So i flushed it out pretty close to the way he shows. I kid you not the truck came alive and i gained an extra MPG. If changing the oil in the high pressure oil reservoir is wrong, i will vanish from this site for ever. It's the best thing i've done so far, second is the brakes.
No No,I'm not saying youre wrong about anything,I've actually been wanting to try the HPOP oil change myself,I'm just saying that he's lead a few people wrong on other things,as for the HPOP oil change,theres been a lengthy discussion on it on another forum that I frequent more often as to thetrue benefits.Again...just my .02 worth

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
looks like I have the van dialed back in.... back into the 18-19mpg.... and for that flying brick I would say that is way cool.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check your rear differential and make sure it is filled with gear oil.
It is going in tomorrow to have the brake lines flushed and the brakes inspected. He is also going to check all four wheel bearings to see if any of them are bad.

-Jim
My front bearings had a good bit of side to side play in them and showed some visable wear.
The rear bearings are lubricated by the gear oil in the rear differential. When I bought my truck 2 months ago it came with 1/2 of the gear oil missing from the rear differential. That little stroke of luck also cost me the rear wheel bearings. They were visably damaged from lack of lubrication.

My brakes looked great and are not dragging.

I'll know after the drive home tomorrow how much this helped. (200 mile drive.)

So far my issues have all been friction/lack of lubrication damage. These are easy, but expensive, fixes.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GEAR OIL IN THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL!!! And repack the bearings in the front every once in a while. :thumbsup:

-Jim

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
With the winter fuel I was averaging 15.5mpg in town all winter. I found a station that was selling #2 in March or April and filled up. First all "in-town" tank was 18.4mpg.:thumbsup: That I can deal with. That fill-up at another closer station last time with about 20 gallons, was winter fuel still, and just calculated for 17.1mpg. I figure that tankfull was about a 50/50 mix of summer and winter fuel. I still have that "up-pipe leak" which I need to fix soon, so hopefully I'll gain a little mileage with that fix as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
99 F-250 with bad mileage

I too have the same issue with a stock truck, 373 rear gears. I can run down the highway empty or pull a 8000lb Fifth Wheel or drive in town .... same 10 miles to a gallon every time.
Truck has been in 5 different shops and nothing can ever be found.
I started looking on the website for fixes and tried many .... still ... 10 miles to a gallon. Truck is in the shop now for amoung other things ... low boost. So maybe this time, the cause might be found..

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had 2 of these trucks and the first one i averaged about 18 on the hwy and 15 in city driving. Then I started having brake issues and it went down to like 15 and 11-13 mpg fixed it but didnt need the truck anymore(so I thought) traded then 10 months later traded the new truck for the one in my sig it averages about 17 mix hwy/city want to put six speed in it to improve the mileage (lower the RPM at Hwy speed).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
want to put six speed in it to improve the mileage (lower the RPM at Hwy speed).
What's your highway RPM's now? I have the 6-speed and 3.73 gears, and I'm running right about 2300rpms at 75mph.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've checked my rpm's against my father's '99 F250 with same size tire and same gears, mines a 6 spd his an auto and his is about 150-200 rpms less at 75 mph. I have double checked it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My mileage has suffered in the last couple of years, and I believe that it is in large part due to the fuel. I have gone from around 19.5 to 17.4 on my '02 F-350.
I have the unique opportunity that I the closest station to me that sells diesel still has LSD vs all the other stations having ULSD. My hand calculated MPG information on my diesel don't show any difference in MPG between LSD and ULSD. Might be worth looking at other reasons.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is some info from my experience of doing the front brakes on my truck. I am hoping to do the rears soon.

If you jack a front tire up, spin it like you're on the Price is Right, it should at least spin for about 1.5 revolutions. If it won't at least get more than a full turn, you probably have a sticking caliper, slides, or your hardware needs replaced, or you"re missing the pad springs, or maybe hub bearing. Something is not right. Maybe check to see if hubs are locked (4x4). I didn't have to do this but you could also pull the pads and caliper off, put the tire back on and see if you can get a full spin on it then. Maybe hub bearings. It would be best to have both sides up on jackstands so you can compare the two. My driverside caliper was sticking. And the passenger side was leaking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did rear brakes a few weeks ago. 3 out of the 4 rear pins were completly rusted into their bores, i could not get them out. I bought new calipers with caliper brackets and new rotors and new pads.

I just got home from a fill up. I got 390 miles, to just under a quarter tank. 16.7 MPG. This tank had 16 ounces of power service in it.

When i bought this truck, I was getting 14.6 MPG. Now if only i could get the transmission to shift right.:read:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can add 1 oz of any two cycle motor oil to one gallon of fuel an it will improve mileage on a average of 1 to 3 miles to the gallon, because the older 7.3 need the extra oil to keep from building up friction in the cylinders, it brought my 2001 f-350 4x4 up on to the average of 3 miles to the gallon. Might try it it's an easy solution i just get Walmart brand two cycle oil been using this now for around the last 10 years

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Have a 99 7.3 F350 I get 11 mpg empty or loaded with 15000 lbs. Originally was getting 16 to 18 and suddenly dropped. Already replaced injector orings, No codes, turbo spins freely. Intake open and does not smoke. Help quickly.
That's quite trick, same MPG loaded with 15K or running empty. 11 MPG isn't bad for that loaded and you must drive full throttle stop and go to match it when empty.

More info on the truck might point out a more likely root cause

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
That's quite trick, same MPG loaded with 15K or running empty. 11 MPG isn't bad for that loaded and you must drive full throttle stop and go to match it when empty.

More info on the truck might point out a more likely root cause
Dang, very old thread, didn't notice. Problem, needs to change the air in the tires 🤓

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Another really old thread with the cobwebs dusted off. :rolleyes:

Oneof6 mentions changing the air in the tires, but checking inflation pressure isn't a bad idea.
Adding 2-cycle oil to the fuel isn't really going to help. It only reduces the energy content in the fuel. Same with winter fuel. Has less oomph than summer fuel.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts