The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
Get the month and year of manufacture off the data tag in the driver's door opening.

·
Super Moderator
24,881 Posts
What Mark said.
If it's got a 12/98 build date on the sticker it could go either way. The "official" transition date was 12/7/98.

The early 99's would have a Powerstroke badge on the front fenders, versus a door badge on the 99.5's, although that's not a definite clue to cutoff due to some carryover parts.
The early '99 had a shorter turbo pedestal and smaller intake plenum connections, also no intake air heater on the turbo outlet spider (one relay instead of two - Glow Plug, and IAH relays on the later trucks, just behind the fuel filter in the valley). There are also a few differences that aren't obvious, like different injectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the truck from my brother-in-law and I think he pressure washed the sticker off I thought there was another way but I wasn't sure of exactly how or where

·
Registered
141 Posts
Look at sticker on engine valve cover, it should have engine build date. also 4 bolts holding turbo compressor on

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
I bought the truck from my brother-in-law and I think he pressure washed the sticker off I thought there was another way but I wasn't sure of exactly how or where
There are several other ways listed in this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is where it was on the driver side valve cover it said 24 Mar 98 and on the other cover. It said 99 international great info thanks alot now I know what I got .it. seems to run great but has a slight miss after it warms up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When was last oil change?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Also the door tag is 02/98 making it one of the PP builds. It was my test vehicle at Ford when we did evaluations on dual mass flywheel. I bought the truck on the ‘B’ Plan in mid ‘01. You wouldn’t believe what I paid for it, I was the only person that drove the truck. $15.3. They call those the good Old days. Ha.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The stock air filter on the early 99 is something to keep an eye on. Original ford part off vin number is the way to get the correct size. I had to return aftermarket filter to NAPA because it was just a bit too long. I was tempted to just make it fit but did not.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Probably a few ‘98 parts used on (PP) pre-production builds when suppliers couldn’t get production tools up and running to meet tight schedules. I‘ve had some problems with replacement rear brake cables fitting and working properly. Could be the new parts were intended for a F350 or F550, etc. The springs inside the rear hat rotors seem too darn fat and NAPA insists they are the the correct parts??? The emergency brakes are pretty important especially when you have the manual transmission and pull trailers. I replaced all the cables but the main ‘long’ interconnecting was 3” short so I had to reuse the original.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Probably a few ‘98 parts used on (PP) pre-production builds when suppliers couldn’t get production tools up and running to meet tight schedules. I‘ve had some problems with replacement rear brake cables fitting and working properly. Could be the new parts were intended for a F350 or F550, etc. The springs inside the rear hat rotors seem too darn fat and NAPA insists they are the the correct parts??? The emergency brakes are pretty important especially when you have the manual transmission and pull trailers. I replaced all the cables but the main ‘long’ interconnecting was 3” short so I had to reuse the original.
Make sure your e brake warning light works. Paid $350 for new shoes and the wife promptly took them out the next day because no light. My fault, I should have fixed it right away.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
So you probably can't interchange the turbos between early and late?

·
Super Moderator
24,881 Posts
So you probably can't interchange the turbos between early and late?
In order to put a later turbo on an early '99 you'd need the pedestal, collector, up-pipes, outlet spider, plenums, boots, and probably need to modify or replace the exhaust downpipe. I'm sure I missed something.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's what I thought, the in to's, out of's and in betweens. But other than that, piece of cake, lol.

·
Super Moderator
24,881 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts