The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been searching the forums and haven't been able to find the exact situation I'm experiencing. Please help!

I was driving down the highway doing about 70mph when i all of a sudden lost power. The engine remained running for about 30 seconds. I thought I was running out of gas because my gauge is broken. The truck wasnt sputtering though. Just a gradual lost of power and then shut off when I dropped to about 15mph. I put 4 gallons of gas in the tank and still nothing. Acted for a second like it was going to start and that was the last bit of hope I've had. I replaced the fuel pump and that didnt do the trick. I then replaced the filter and still nothing. I checked all the fuses like some of the forums have said and they all look good. I can hear the pump priming and there is fuel in the filter bowl. There are no lights on the dash, never flickered on or anything.

If anyone can give some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I've done many restorations myself and work on all my own cars but this is my first diesel.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
How’s your oil level? Also, have you tried restarting after it cooled down? Do you have access to a scanner where you could watch IC pressure? Just for kicks, check the tin nut on your IPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did you try to start after unplugging the ICP?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
[QUOTE="seanedwards18, post: 4686866, member: 416629"

I thought I was running out of gas because my gauge is broken.

I put 4 gallons of gas in the tank and still nothing. [/QUOTE]

Assuming you mean “Diesel” ?

Are you running any kind of a chip or tuner?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try to start after unplugging the ICP?
I just tried to start it with the ICP disconnected and it started to sputter like it wanted to start a little, but no success. Also, white smoke coming out of the exhaust when i tried this time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE="seanedwards18, post: 4686866, member: 416629"

I thought I was running out of gas because my gauge is broken.

I put 4 gallons of gas in the tank and still nothing.
Assuming you mean “Diesel” ?

Are you running any kind of a chip or tuner?
[/QUOTE]
Yes diesel, not gas haha.

No chip or tuner. I will say that I have read a little more and bought a motorcraft CPS. The one I replaced was a duralast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How’s your oil level? Also, have you tried restarting after it cooled down? Do you have access to a scanner where you could watch IC pressure? Just for kicks, check the tin nut on your IPR.

I did try to start it after it cooled down with no luck. Oil Level isnt to the "add" level, but its at the bottom of the full level. Should I add more?

I will check the tin nut on the IPR now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took a look at the tin nut on the IPR and it is tight? didnt move by hand.

When I was checking that I noticed that the fuel heater connector was off. I plugged it back in but it didnt start. No white smoke this time though. Could it be the issue, maybe I floaded it trying to start too many times?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
It’s not flooded. Diesel doesn’t have to be in stoichiometric ratio to ignite. The white smoke with the ICP sensor unplugged but not with it plugged tells us the oil pressure is below 500- the value needed to start. That implies a high pressure oil issue. Maybe an IPR failure on blown injector oring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s not flooded. Diesel doesn’t have to be in stoichiometric ratio to ignite. The white smoke with the ICP sensor unplugged but not with it plugged tells us the oil pressure is below 500- the value needed to start. That implies a high pressure oil issue. Maybe an IPR failure on blown injector oring.

could it be from low oil? or do I need to pull it apart and check the injector o-rings?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
If it is touching the dipstick, it isn't low oil. The motor holds 18 quarts (only 15 that drain out), so being one quart low isn't going to affect anything. You really need to have a scanner on it while cranking to determine what is going on. If you find the ICP is staying under 500 when cranking, then there are a few tests to perform before pulling the injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is touching the dipstick, it isn't low oil. The motor holds 18 quarts (only 15 that drain out), so being one quart low isn't going to affect anything. You really need to have a scanner on it while cranking to determine what is going on. If you find the ICP is staying under 500 when cranking, then there are a few tests to perform before pulling the injectors.
Ok great. I have a nice scanner I can hook it up to and test. I'll post the findings soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My scanner wouldn't read ICP values. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot? A guy on another forum told me to try starter fluid but that didn't seem right. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
DON'T use starter fluid. You could damage your engine (or yourself). :oops:
If the glow plugs are active, it could ignite the ether at the wrong time.

You need to get hold of a scan tool that will display ICP to be able to diagnose a low injection pressure issue.

You might want to check fuel pressure and delivery. You can do a quick check by opening the fuel filter drain, and turning the key to on. You should see a healthy stream out of the drain tube. You can check fuel pressure with a gauge connected at the back of the filter bowl. You'll need an SAE o-ring fitting adapter to screw in where the plug is.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hundred buck will by you a SCANGAUGE II that will read it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll take a look at the fuel pressure this weekend. I got the Motorcraft CPS in today and installed. Truck sounded like it wanted to start and the tach was actually moving this time. Not sure if that means anything.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had this same problem and symptoms, i had my van towed to a shop that said i needed a HPOP or Injector seals? I haven't had a chance to get a second opinion? They wanted $2k to replace the HPOP alone and then see if I needed Injector seals???? After the van cooled down it did start before the tow truck came, but i haven't driven it since i got it back from the first shop?

·
Registered
165 Posts
what is a good scanner to use? I have used Torque Pro previously, but not sure if there is a better option to get all need codes?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
FORScan is a good option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cjmcqueen1164
1 - 20 of 31 Posts