The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
They wanted $2k to replace the HPOP alone and then see if I needed Injector seals????
I would retrieve your truck from that shop ASAP. They're parts swappers, starting with the most expensive (and in this case, the least likely to be the problem) part. Find a shop that knows how to diagnose the problem. It is possible to narrow down an HP oil leak to one head or the other.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had it towed back to the house. Looking for a good mechanic to take it to here in Middlesex County NJ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
DON'T use starter fluid. You could damage your engine (or yourself). :oops:
If the glow plugs are active, it could ignite the ether at the wrong time.

You need to get hold of a scan tool that will display ICP to be able to diagnose a low injection pressure issue.

You might want to check fuel pressure and delivery. You can do a quick check by opening the fuel filter drain, and turning the key to on. You should see a healthy stream out of the drain tube. You can check fuel pressure with a gauge connected at the back of the filter bowl. You'll need an SAE o-ring fitting adapter to screw in where the plug is.
I checked the fuel pressure. Opened the valve at the back of the fuel bowl and let the fuel in the bowl pour out. When I turned the key on, the fuel pump comes on but no fuel to the bowl. This is a new fuel filter but an off brand from rock auto. I tried to fill the furl bowl and start it but nothing. Not sure if there is a priming procedure?

Check engine light is now on. I'm still working on getting a scanner that will read the ICP.

·
Registered
533 Posts
There is a valve in the fuel filter bowl that will not allow flow with the filter out or cap off. Was this how you checked for flow? The right way is to open the drain valve on the back of the bowl and then after the initial drain, cycle the key to see if you get a steady stream. Please use a container to catch the fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is a valve in the fuel filter bowl that will not allow flow with the filter out or cap off. Was this how you checked for flow? The right way is to open the drain valve on the back of the bowl and then after the initial drain, cycle the key to see if you get a steady stream. Please use a container to catch the fuel.
I left the cap on and filter in. I then opened the yellow drain valve on the back of the bowl. Once the fuel in the bowl drained out I turned on the ignition. Fuel pump was on but no fuel. I removed the outfield side of the fuel pump line and tried again. No fuel coming out of the pump. I figured the pickup had something wrong so I dropped the tank and pulled the pickup/sending unit. Filters had some debris but nothing major. I cleaned everything and put it back together. Still no fuel.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pump is bad then, probably the reason for the whole problem.

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
You can also check the fuel pump by connecting the inlet port to a jug of fuel. If it still doesn't work, either the pump is bad or the inertial cutoff switch has tripped, or the pump isn't getting power for some reason, although you did say the pump came on. There's a hole at the top of the passenger side kick panel just in front of the door hinge pillar. Stick your finger in there and push the button you'll find. If it clicks, the switch has tripped.
If it will draw from a separate jug, then you have an issue with the tank pickup. Or possibly the fuel level is too low and the inlet valve on the side of the foot is bad and is drawing air instead of fuel. It's there in case the screen in the pickup foot is bad, but they sometimes leak and you run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Buy a bosch pump, they are OEM. Amazon has them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You can also check the fuel pump by connecting the inlet port to a jug of fuel. If it still doesn't work, either the pump is bad or the inertial cutoff switch has tripped, or the pump isn't getting power for some reason, although you did say the pump came on. There's a hole at the top of the passenger side kick panel just in front of the door hinge pillar. Stick your finger in there and push the button you'll find. If it clicks, the switch has tripped.
If it will draw from a separate jug, then you have an issue with the tank pickup. Or possibly the fuel level is too low and the inlet valve on the side of the foot is bad and is drawing air instead of fuel. It's there in case the screen in the pickup foot is bad, but they sometimes leak and you run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank.
Awesome. The switch wasn't tripped so Im going to disconnect the feed line and put it in a tank of gas. If it doesn't pull I'll get a new pump.

·
Registered
533 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts