The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here and new to diesels. I don’t have a lot of mechanical experience so I am learning. I have tried to do a lot of research the past month with issues with my truck but I am still at a loss and could use some guidance.
It’s a 99 f350, 6-speed,

truck stalled on me going down the road. Wasn’t running rough or anything, just stalled. I pulled it over and tried to start it back up, just cranks, no start. Tried to do some research, changed out the crankshaft position sensor, nothing, changed out the ICP sensor, when I took the connector off it was covered in oil. I checked the HPOP at that point and pumped oil out the top while the sensor was out. After changing the sensor, still no start. From there I just got it towed to the house. I’ve checked all of the fuses, all good. Checked the glow plug relay solenoid, all good. Drained the fuel bowl, checked to see if it was filling up. Fuel pump is good. I then changed out the IPR sensor, still no start. Batteries are fully charged, oil level is good. There is no check engine light. I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated on where to start next.

·
Registered
2000 Ford F-250 flatbed 7.3L power stroke with a 4 way chip and 6 spd manual tranny. 285/75/16 A/T
111 Posts
Is there any smoke coming out the tail pipe when you crank on the truck. If so what color is it. And is there oil pressure when ur cranking and the HPOP full cause the 7.3L will not start unless that is full and pressurized.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any smoke coming out the tail pipe when you crank on the truck. If so what color is it. And is there oil pressure when ur cranking and the HPOP full cause the 7.3L will not start unless that is full and pressurized.
thanks for the response. There is no smoke coming out of tailpipe when cranking. My oil pressure gauge shows nothing. Last I checked the hpop was full when I tested it oil was coming out of hole where the ICP sensor was when I put it back in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone has suggested I verify that my fuel filter isn’t clogged. Last I checked it looked ok. But I haven’t had the truck too long and don’t know the last time it was changed out. So I’ll prob just pick one up on the way home from work today just to be sure. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2000 Ford F-250 flatbed 7.3L power stroke with a 4 way chip and 6 spd manual tranny. 285/75/16 A/T
111 Posts
I would start with replacing the fuel filter and you already made the fuel pump worked. if the fuel filter don't do it take the air box off and make sure she is getting air to the turbo. And since you said there was no smoke out the tail pipe means no fuel to the injectors you might need to check ur fuel pressure cause pump might be working but not have enough pressure. And is the wait to start light coming on if not PCM trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start with replacing the fuel filter and you already made the fuel pump worked. if the fuel filter don't do it take the air box off and make sure she is getting air to the turbo. And since you said there was no smoke out the tail pipe means no fuel to the injectors you might need to check ur fuel pressure cause pump might be working but not have enough pressure. And is the wait to start light coming on if not PCM trouble.
Ok, the wait to start light does come on. I’ll change the fuel filter out today. How to I check the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are several different ways to do this. Get a fitting for the purge on the fuel bowl and a preferably long hose so you can read in the cab unless ur having someone else crank and a fuel pressure gauge that goes up to at least 100psi Or you can go to store and get a pressure gauge for fluid and check it that way. The purge tube us a tube that's on the passenger side hanging down its the tub that is Hooked to the back of the fuel bowl valve.

·
Registered
111 Posts
45-65psi is ur normal operating range for fuel pressure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are several different ways to do this. Get a fitting for the purge on the fuel bowl and a preferably long hose so you can read in the cab unless ur having someone else crank and a fuel pressure gauge that goes up to at least 100psi Or you can go to store and get a pressure gauge for fluid and check it that way. The purge tube us a tube that's on the passenger side hanging down its the tub that is Hooked to the back of the fuel bowl valve.
ok, I will see about picking a fitting and gauge up as well as a new filter. I’ll try and check it all this evening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I got a new fuel filter and changed it out, taking the cap off diesel was spewing out pretty good so I’m pretty sure it had plenty of pressure. They didn’t have a pressure gauge at the auto parts place so I can’t test . I turned key to on position a few times to refill the fuel bowl with fuel and tried to start it a few times, but battery was drained quick. I forgot to put it on the charger after working on it and trying last night. So it’s currently charging now, I’ll have to wait and try in the morning/ or tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
When you crank it, does the tachometer move?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Try starting with ICP unplugged. Are all the sensors you replaced genuine Motorcraft parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll have to try starting without the ICP later, I had to go into work today.
Try starting with ICP unplugged. Are all the sensors you replaced genuine Motorcraft parts?
But the CPS and the IPR sensors are standard brand. And the ICP I got directly from Ford dealership. Was the only place that I could find the right one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I finally broke down and had the truck towed to the local Ford dealership. After a day of having it they called and said that they found the IPR valve was not functioning, therefore it was not reading oil pressure. Causing the truck not to start. At this point he quoted $826 for the diagnostics, part and labor. I didn’t like it but hey, that’s what I get. I told him to go ahead and proceed with it. Later that afternoon he called to update. Said it worked...... truck started. But after about a minute it died again. So they went back to testing fuel pressure. And said a bunch of stuff I didn’t fully comprehend. But the bottom line was that the HPOP was bad, deteriorating or something from the inside, finding metal shards blocking the valve? And 7 of the 8 injectors tested bad. So new HPOP, 7 injectors, valve cover gasket and Injector harness was the lost to be replaced and quoted me $8,686 for all the parts, diagnostics and labor to do. 🤦🏼

so, I by no means plan on them to change out stock parts for close to $9,000. So I’m gonna get my buddy to come in on a weekend, he used to work at a Ford dealership as a mechanic, though not real experienced with the diesels, but is currently in air force as an aircraft mechanic. And I’m going to spend the next month putting money aside and make a lost and by the new parts (upgraded) and also figure out since we will have it all opened up, what other parts should I change out and/or upgrade as well. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Id say that when you go and replace all this make sure that all the head bolts and studs are good. and id do the crossover oil line if you haven't done that. We did all this to my dads truck for like $3100 but that is without HPOP. Also make sure when you put it back together the HPOP is full with oil and u can do that urself and it'll start easier and faster. And id replace all the injectors so you don't have to go back and do it. If I think of anymore ill let you know

·
Registered
617 Posts
8 new injectors from full force diesel $1500
New t500 HPOP $500
1 full days work with a friend + beer $30

1 - 19 of 19 Posts