The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It has been leaking for a long time but I can never find the source until possibly today. The water comes in at the corner behind the parking brake cable. I spent hours running a hose in very specific locations and have ruled out the windshield gasket and everything having to do with the passenger side. I removed the cowlings and cleaned out every bit of debris from all the nook and crannies of the drainage channels.
When I ran the hose into the driver side of the drain channel & cowling, some water was taking a detour: clinging to the underside of the channel where it dumps in to the left front quarter panel. Then it sorta wicks into that seam behind the fuse box then appears inside the cab in that corner above where the parking brake cable goes through.
The problem is: I cant access where it needs to be sealed! I tried to remove the plastic fender-well of the front tire, but its way too form fitted and stiff even with all the screws and retainers out. There is a slim chance I can reach it through the gap in the door frame, but it looks really tight even if I remove the door.
Any suggestions??
IMG_2233[1].JPG This is where the water comes into the cab. Far upper left corner of driver side floor. Pull back carpet & lift up rubber.
IMG_2240[1].JPG This is the engine bay view. Water clings to underside just above that "hole" where cowling channel meets quarter panel
IMG_2239[1].JPG This is a closer view from engine side, behind fuse box. I pulled off a rotted chunk of spray foam gasket and it had rust chunks in it. Entry point!

It needs to be sealed from the inside of this corner so the water can't wick through the old spongy gasket.
Clear as mud?馃榿

Registered
This is the '94-97 forum. We're not necessarily familiar with later trucks.

Super Moderator
You might try some spray bedliner. If you can shoot enough of it in thru a tube (like what a can of WD40 comes with), it might seal up the hole.

Premium Member
There is also the known issue of the corner of the windshield leaking into the cab. Usually drips over the fuse box and GEM on its way down. You won't see the trouble spot until you pull the cowling and trim.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is the '94-97 forum. We're not necessarily familiar with later trucks.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I was certain I clicked the 99-07 forum but apparently not, lol
Lisa

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
There is also the known issue of the corner of the windshield leaking into the cab. Usually drips over the fuse box and GEM on its way down. You won't see the trouble spot until you pull the cowling and trim.
True, but I when I test the windshield it doesn't leak., It's only when I put water directly in the cowling

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Laugh if you want, but that flex seal stuff in the spray will work for that seam
That's what I finally used and it worked! I scrubbed all the rust and dirt off the entire seam and soaked it down with the FlexSeal spray. Added a second coat 48 hours later then waited a few days to cure. It didn't leak when I ran the hose on it and it hasn't leaked through the last 3 strong rain storms.
For the first time in 6 years, my carpet is bone dry after rains or washings!! Happy Happy Day!

Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback on the resolution to your problem. (y)
Do you have enough FlexSeal left over to seal the bottom of your screen door boat? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts