The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IN NEED OF HELP So I have a 1999 f250 with a 7.3 it is a 6 speed with a brand new transmission. When I first got it the owner said it had a starting problem said it was the icp sensor. what was happening is truck would start and run fine, after shutoff have to wait 30 minutes to an hour before it will restart no matter how long I crank it will not fire. Icp sensor was replaced sense then and no difference. Have no idea what it could be. It has a hydra tuner on it too and 100hp injectors. That's the only upgrades to the engine and straight piped 4" exhaust.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
A weak, failing IPR will cause a hard start when hot issue. So will bad injector O-rings. A bad CPS can cause a myriad of copycat symptoms.

Best practice is to do some testing. It never hurts to try your SPARE CPS (the one EVERY 7.3 owner should have in his center console). Always use a genuine International (or Ford re-bagged) part. The parts store variety are invariably junk.

After that, I would put a scanner on it. AE is a good one if you are thinking of buying one. Monitor IC pressure, IPR duty cycle, injector pulse width, voltage and RPM. Get it in a situation where you know its not going to start, set up the record function and try to start it. If you see IPR duty cycle high and no IC pressure, the IPR is probably failing. If you see some IC pressure, but it's struggling to get to the required 500, it's probably bad O-rings causing excessive leakage of pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be putting it in ford shop Monday morning to get everything tested hoping to find somthing from them will post more after I get info from them

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Save your money and get the Auto Enginuity software and scan yourself and might find your IPR is bad. Oil is warm and will flow past the old o-rings plus with the software you can see all codes and diagnose it yourself. If you are not able to work on it yourself then use the dealer.
Also, use this forum. Like you have seen with RT there is a ton of experienced people on here willing to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you but myself with school and work and a gf... lol don't have much time to actually work on the truck myself usually have friends help me if I end up having to plus I have a spare car to drive so putting it in the shop isn't a problem for me anyways not rn but they will be doing what they can tomorrow morning and I'll be posting results on here.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Might be cheaper to pick the top two priorities and let the third one go. Your girlfriend will understand...

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Might be cheaper to pick the top two priorities and let the third one go. Your girlfriend will understand...
Lol.
And if she doesn't then she wasn't a "keeper" anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts