The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic info: 99 F250/2WD/6 SPD/7.3/148k miles
I am experiencing the symptoms of the 99 clutch fork problem: difficult to get into any and all gears, a little more sound than usual and the feel of the clutch at full depression is different than it should be. The master/slave assembly was replaced about 12k miles back. As long as I am going to drop the trans, I figure I might as well do the clutch and be done with it. I am a very fixed income retiree, so dollars matter. I don't do any towing worth mentioning, and the truck is just my daily driver. I do have an intake, and the 6 position programmer but I put them in to play with the MPG. A "performance " clutch really isn't needed. My questions are:
1) I see mentions about two different flywheel types, and both use different (LUK?) clutch types. Any way to ID the one I have before I get started? It sure would make ordering easier.
2) It seems that, reference the above part, that some kits come with a flywheel. But ifni don't need to.swap it, the money part comes into play.
3) Finally, I am.looking at LUK or similar brand packages on eBay, etc, that seem to be sub-$200, or around $300 with the wheel. Is there a specific brand to avoid, much like the Dorman line? Again, I won't be throwing a $South Bend at it. At my age, I want a replacement that will function well for a few more years. After that, it will be my kid's problem.....
I won't be doing the swap myself, my son and friends include some accomplished Diesel guys and farm boys with a good shop to use. I just want to be able to hand them the boxes and get it done in one sitting rather than chase parts for a week. Many thanks for some of your advice on the process.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ordered the LuK 07-155 "Rep Set" on ebay a couple months ago and installed last month. It was around $330, and includes flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel & PP bolts, release bearing, spline grease & pilot tool. Everything you need except for the plastic Release Lever Stud which you can get separately on ebay for around $10 (pn F81Z7B602AA), and the upgraded release lever itself.

Havent driven much, but very happy with the LuK kit. Significantly reduced effort from the Valair clutch that it replaced in my 300k mile truck, and the trans seems to shift better as well.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Is the clutch original or has it been replaced already? If it's original then yes it is likely you have a clutch fork issue. However you can measure the distance at the slave cylinder to see how much it has bent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All OEM, and pretty much have nailed it down that the fork is bad, and getting worse.. I guess the big piece of knowledge I seek is about the flywheel. If I don't have to buy a kit with the wheel, it saves $100 or so. But apparently there are two types out there. I just want to have everything in hand instead of dropping the box and finding that I need a flywheel, or bought one I don't need, or have the wrong clutch entirely.

·
Super Moderator
26,589 Posts
I don't believe the Luk clutch will bolt to the stock flywheel, so if you go that route, you'll need the whole kit with flywheel. If you put in a stock clutch, you can get the flywheel resurfaced for about $50. But IMO, the stock clutch pretty much sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts