The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing my '99 F250 4x4 and my '00 EX 4x4 to the newer style coil spring front end. Has anyone done a write up on this? I may have a rolling chassis from 2010 F250 4x4 available. I would want to do the entire front and rear suspension. So far the obstacles I know of are: I know the axles are wider F&R, which seems ok. I will need new wheels and tires. I would go with OEM more than likely. Of course it will be a lot of work. The benefits I am shooting for is a much better ride, turning radius, better brakes, slight lift and better drive ability. I am hearing that getting the coil buckets off the donor frame can be a bear. I can buy new ones pretty cheap. Are all of the holes already there on my F250 and EX? Should everything just bolt right up? What about brake lines? My F250 is a RW ABS only truck so front sensors would not be an issue on that one. My EX is 4W ABS. Any ideas what hurdles I may run into on that? I would think that I would end up at least needing to replace the U-joint at the diffs on both ends of both trucks. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,087 Posts
I believe it's been done, at least on the front suspension. IIRC, there are holes already in the frame in most cases, as the coil setups were similar to 2WD suspension up front. It's just a matter of bolting the newer components to your frame. You may wind up shortening/lengthening the driveshafts, but the u-joints should be the same style. That's an easy lookup in a u-joint catalog.
I'll see if I can find that post for you.
[on edit] here's one post with info that you're looking for. suspension swap
Another thought - your '99 (and maybe the '00 EX) will have a Dana 50 front axle. The later truck will have a Dana 60 which is significantly larger in the center section (u-joint yoke is further back), so the front driveshaft will definitely need to be shortened. I've swapped my truck to a D60 axle, and had to shorten the front DS. That's not a big deal though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I am still considering pick up this rolling chassis. I will take a look through that article. Thanks. I read one article that mentioned there was some frame stiffening on the '05-'07 frames around the area where the radius arms attached. I do not have any info on that at this time. I will have to look into it. I know that there are a few shops that have done this job online. Some of them show videos that are replacing the entire front frame area with a cab separation. That is WAY more than I plan on getting involved in. I was hoping to just swap axles and suspension.
I knew that the new axles would be D60 instead of my D50. Thanks. I was looking forward to the upgrade. And yes there may be a few drive shaft issues.
Any ideas on the rear leafs? I think the newer ones are longer. Wonder if I would have to replace my spring shackle mounts or if I could just swap the springs over. I do not think I could use the factory overload springs on the rear springs on the Excursion. I saw one article that said they would hit the A/C lines.

·
Super Moderator
25,087 Posts
If the axle will bolt to the existing rear springs (pretty sure it would), I don't see any real benefit from changing out the springs. I would think that the rear would be a simple axle swap.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the axle will bolt to the existing rear springs (pretty sure it would), I don't see any real benefit from changing out the springs. I would think that the rear would be a simple axle swap.
Agreed the axle only would be easier. Idk if the rear would bolt up or not. Part of the reason for thorn spring change would be that my EX has even sitting on it’s current springs for 20 years. They are pretty tired. I may consider doing a small lift if I go through with this. Maybe 2”. I want to stay with OEM wheels and close to stock tire size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts