The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the forums. I have an issue pertaining to my power steering system that I can't seem to resolve. After thoroughly searching these forums, I found lots of good advise and many helpful suggestions, though none of which directly match my symptoms, so here's yet another power steering thread. Hopefully someone other than myself gains some more useful info from it.

So here goes nothing...

A couple weeks ago, the ol' girl started acting funny...I completely lost my power steering as well as the power brakes. After an overnight cool-down, power was restored, however the symptoms then arose again at completely random times. For example, I'd lose my brakes while coming to a stop, and while I'm literally standing on the pedal to bring her to a halt, the power brakes kick in and I almost eat the steering wheel as the truck stops on a dime. A buddy of mine who builds hot rods gave the obvious suggestion...power steering pump...which also provides the juice to the hydro brake booster. I'm new to the PSD, and in turn, the brake booster system, so forgive me if this thread sounds "noobish". I am, however, an adept mechanic, so all advise will be greatly appreciated. A few days ago, I lost everything permanently, never to regain the PS or PB. Pump isn't doing a thing. Not even making that wretched whining that it so regularly makes...silence...soooooooo......

Yesterday, I pulled the stock pump and pulley, which has been pulled twice before, and replaced them both with autozoners. During the bleeding process of the new pump, everything seemed to be going well...power steering seemed to be restored...getting all those foamy air bubbles out of the lines. The pump is working rather well...it makes a nice, quiet hum next to the screaming of the old one and the wheel turns effortlessly. Everything is looking good until my hot rod buddy tells me to step on the brakes to see if normal pressure was restored. The moment I step on the brake pedal, the power steering that I thought was restored and that I spent so much time bleeding was gone. No power steering, no power brakes AGAIN. And the nice quiet hum of the new pump is replaced with silence. Is my new pump rendered useless? What could it be now? Should I flush the lines and fill the system with synthetic ATF? Is it the brake booster? It's frustrating and super hard on my arms as I have to drive it with no PS or PB every day to and from work. I'm a carpenter by trade, and I'm more sore after wrenching the steering wheel than after a 12 hour work day.

Sorry this thread is so long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I look forward to any suggestions and advice, and I can't wait to resolve this issue so I can move on to more fruitful upgrades! Thanks in advance. Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Well, you wouldn't be the first person to get a bad PS pump from the low cost retail auto supply stores like autozone and Advance. Usually I recomend a Motorcraft pump from Ford or RockAuto.

But it also depends on if there are debris in the system that can cause future issue. They can take out a replacement pump, jam the valve in the hydroboost requiring its replacement, or even the steering box. Or even a steering box taking out everything else.

So the best thing is when the pump is replaced is to drain and blow out all the lines and reservoir as best you can, install a Magnefine filter in the Steering return line and let it run for a while, then turn the steering and pressing the brake pedal to hope the filter catches anything remaining. If I remember correctly Ford thinks the filter should be removed after the mechanic is comfortable with its cleaning rather then leaving it in permentently.

At this point the Ford service equipment would be handy as it can be plumbed into the lines so the system could be tested to see if there is the correct pressure and volume out of the pump, and to see if now there is a valve open issue in the hydroboost.

Depending how mechanical you and your friend is you could bypass the hydrobooster with some additional fittings to see if that is a problem, or go through the trouble of disconnecting the return to reservoir exhaust hose from the HB and extend it to the reservoir fill opening and see if fluid is being bypassed even when the brake is not depressed and released.

Without the factory tools it hard not to be in the situation of just throwing more parts at it to find the cause.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I had a customer that got 3 P/S pumps from Auto Zone before it was all said and done.

Can't say I've had one bad "out of the box" from O'Reilly's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts