The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im new to the forum and pretty new to diesels. I love the forum and all the 7.3 threads. I bought a 99 F350 4x4 single cab single rear wheel with 222000 miles and a new auto trans. The truck looks and drives like its new. I have always wanted a diesel and am real excited about this truck. It was bone stock when I got it about a month ago. I put on a 4" turbo back exaust w/5" flow through muffler from diamond eye, and a specter intake from summitt. (didn't fit right) I've been reading alot of posts and some magazines, and everybody seems to say the first three things you should do is intake, exaust, and tuner. Im stuck on the tuner though. There must be 50 diffrent brands and 100 different tuners all making the same claims. Im not trying to win a tractor pull or drag race, but I would like to wake the powerstroke up a little bit. (I saw verry little improvement in mpg or performance with the intake and exaust). My first concern is the longevity and reliability of the engine. My second priority is MPG (Im getting about 15 with no load). Power would be third on the list.
I know I need gagues and some tuners come with them, but i have heard that these tuners have crappy tunes (edge evo).I would like to stay under $500 with the gagues an tuner. Any help would be awsome.

· Premium Member
15,556 Posts
The combined tuner/gauge packages really are more for the 6.0 and up crowd. Throw all the tuner's you've heard about in the trash except for DP-Tuner (which I have) and TS. I have no experience with the latter, but a lot of people have that one. Jody at DP-Tuner is the guru. You will not believe the difference in your truck until you feel it for yourself. Its like the difference in how your feel on your best day versus being sick in bed with the flu.

I have the 60 econo for hwy driving, 80 econo for in town, 80 tow, and 120 race for smoking the occasional rice burner. I use the first three the most, and spend probably 95% of my time on 60 econo. With this tuner, you can shift on the fly (unlike the gauge tuner combos) so I can toast the Honda at the traffic light and then swap back to my econo tune before we get to the freeway on-ramp...

Gauges are a must - there is a good package here that a lot of us use. Easy to install and work great:

ISSPRO Gauge Kits for Ford Powerstroke from DieselManor

If you're on a strict budget, I would recommend getting the gauges, and then send your PCM to Jody for one tune - probably the 60 or 80 econo - I think its about 75 bucks that way. Then you could start saving for your switchable programmer for later.

· Registered
301 Posts
DP tuner all the way my friend. Jody will always take the time to personally help you out if and when you need it. I can't imagine how busy he is with the growing popularity and high demand for his products, yet he still always has the time to make the call and help you out. I also use 80 econo quite a bit. In addition I have the high idle 1,200 tune ( good for winter, and jumping cars if you need to) and the low idle drive-thru which has surprisingly come in handy more than I thought it would. My truck came with an edge evo and it was the first thing I took out and got rid of...Best thing I ever did to my truck was the DP-tuner

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm also new to the forum. My 99' F350 now has a rebiult ECM with 75HP added. How does that work with a programable tuner? I really though you could have one or the other. Based on that I had an Edge installed so I at least know what the boost and trans temperatures are. Any advice you have will fall on virgin ears (can't say much for the rest of me). Thanks,

· Premium Member
15,556 Posts
You would lose your 75 HP tune on the PCM - one of the free tunes that comes with a switchable DP-Tuner is the stock tune. The problem with the Edge is that you are reading what the sensors say the boost and trans temp are - if a sensor goes out, you have no way of comparing your numbers to independent readings. Plus, the EGT is one of the most important things to monitor and you aren't doing that. I'd put your Edge on ebay and go with the above recommendation. That, or get the pyrometer input on your edge.

· Registered
54 Posts
First Welcome to the mix.
Second, I have an Edge Juice w/ Attitude monitor and like it. Not that the DP wouldn't be better but I liked having my boost and EGT readout and its a clean look without the pillar mounted gauges. I put mine just above the ignition on the column. It's visible while driving, switch on the fly, and not gaudy. I did the pyro myself in the driveway no big deal. Drilled and tapped the manifold, threaded it in. I leave mine in drive or race most of the time. My weak spot is the turbo and I plan on doing something with it shortly. Bummer is it all costs.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Im going to get my gagues first and see what kind of cash Ive got left over. sounds like dp tuners are the way to go. What kind of mileage do you get with some of those settings? is 20 mpg around town realistic?

· Registered
7 Posts
I also appreciate the advice. JUSTNATE, I have the Edge Insight so I have no options for changing the ECM settings. After the install I drove the truck home with only about 9 lbs of boost (afterwards realized I was on OD - the default). I'll drive the truck again in the next day or two with OD off to see if it develops the approx 20 lbs I hear about. The truck runs strong (I pulled my 14,000# 5th wheel up significant grades on the Siskyous at 40-45MPH and later discovered that two glow plugs were out - long story and having to do with a 'bad ECM' code). I had a Wastegate code before the Edge was installed, but it hasn't reappeared - yet. I have a trip coming up, only about 800 miles roundtrip so I guess I'll pass or fail. I see installing the guages in my future. Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
7 Posts
I took the Dually out yesterday and put the pedal to the metal with OD tuned off. Instead of the 9 lbs of boost it registered 19 lbs - more like it. However, with an extra 75hp added to the ECM shouldn't it be closer to 25 lbs? I read elsewhere that the stock limitation on boost is about 19 lbs. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

Any opinions?

· Registered
82 Posts
99 F-350

I chose Ford AIS, Magnaflow, and DP Tunes. Jody's hardware and software perform flawlessly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.