The Diesel Stop banner

99 idle surge problem

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jacobe 
#1 ·
I've got a 99 Superduty. 7.3
My check engine light comes on and off constantly. The truck wants to idle way up on it's own, up and down. When I'm driving, it will "surge" like it's giving itself gas. Any suggestions on what to do before I take it to the dealer?
Thanks guys.

#4 ·
I'll bet that both of you guys have sticking IPR's or the solenoid nut is loose on the IPR.

Either that or the ICP sensor is messed up. Try pulling the electrical connector off the ICP sensor and see if it smooths out.

Oh yeah, --- First thing to do is make sure your oil hasn't been in the engine for 20k miles. These engines are sensitive to oil quality.

#5 ·
could be the TPS maybe? if it has a badspot when the pedal is resting maybe the resistance could jump all over the place?

I know my windshield wiper switch has a bad connection like that, it takes me a while to get the stalk to "connect" and make the wipers go the speed i want (or even turn off)

#6 ·
Yeah, TPS is a possibility as well.

Since the OP's SES has been on, there will be a code stored that will be a clue on where to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.