The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
You can use a air chisel to break the not loose.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I"ve used a pair of vise grips to keep the water pump pulley from spinning (once it revolves around enough to contact the main crank pulley) and then just used a big water pipe wrench to turn the large pump nut. Afterwards I used a small file to remove any burrs that the vice grips left. I've done it 4 times like this over the years without any problems from it. If you got the right wrenches it would be a lot simpler but sometimes you got to do what you can with what you got on hand.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched a video. They use very little gasket seal and I still can't find a good one on fan removal. I saw the tool with the air chisel. But the guy did it to fast. I'm gonna go see if they rent these clutch tool. And thanks for the reply on the vise grips. I'm gonna have q friend helping me Saturday so I want to
Get in all in order. Can anyone else think of anything I might need. Teflon tape is on the list along with the clutch tool.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the tool for rent at napa. Gonna pic some up along with Teflon tape. Do the project tomorrow. Let y'all know if it was a success

·
Registered
704 Posts
The bolts like to seize up on the thermostat housing. I usually don't remove the thermostat housing until it is out of the truck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I only put the few light dabs of gasket sealer on the pump to hold the gasket in place.

While you are in there, maybe change out the upper radiator hose for the dual alternator system. That way you won't have to remove the hose to change out the serpentine belt. If it has been a while since you did it, maybe even do a flush before taking the old pump out.

A lot of shops seem to recommend changing the fan clutch at the same time as the water pump. With the belt off, see if you can move the fan on the shaft (just as you check for wheel bearing play).

As losfinch said, no special tools needed. I have an 18" adjustable wrench for the nut. The first time, I used a narrow leather belt around the pulley and held with a long screwdriver. I later bought the chain wrench which made it easier (wrench was very inexpensive). I use the air ratchet for bolt removal. I don't use it on the reinstall until the bolts are threaded in. Use thread anti-seize.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changed out the upper house last year when I did the radiator swap. We got the fan clutch off the pulley. A tool rented. Cleaned all the corrosion off the block. Put the new one on with a small line of gasket sea.

We will see on a warm day what happens. Atleast that bottom leak is fixed and it makes my motor pop lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts