The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my daughters 1994 7.3 IDI ATS turbo A/T 90,K original miles.
Truck started shifting hard, O/D light flashing and we found Code 62&67.
I changed the Neutral safety switch, it did not read out proper with a DVOM.
I checked the voltage at the TPS, 5v on bottom wire, 1.2 v-3.99v through acceleration cycle.
Pulled trans dust cover and find no discoloration due to overheating.
I have cleared the codes by disconnecting the batteries multiple times and it still throws codes within a couple miles at 45-55 mph.

Not sure what to do next?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Code 67 does show as the MLP however they also list it as the A/C being on while running the self tests - make sure it is turned off. Second, code 62 indicates transmission slippage, erratic or no torque converter clutch operation. This is ambiguous in that it does not indicate any specific clutch or the torque converter.

·
Super Moderator
11,780 Posts
The E4OD doesn't have speed sensors in the transmission, so it is impossible to determine if code 62 set due to a torque converter clutch issue, or an issue with a different clutch.

The test for code 62 only runs when the trans is in fourth gear and the torque converter clutch is commanded to be locked. Usually, the code is due to some slippage in the torque converter clutch. I recommend clearing the code and waiting for it to come back. Eventually, the code will set almost every time the trans is in fourth gear. By this point, the heat should be evident on the front of the torque converter.

This vintage of torque converter had a problem with the clutch apply piston cracking. When the crack begins apply pressure leaks past the piston and code 62 sets once in a while. As the crack progresses more pressure leaks, and the code sets more often.

You can keep it going as is, but to fix this I think you need a new torque converter.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am working on my daughters 1994 7.3 IDI ATS turbo A/T 90,K original miles.
Truck started shifting hard, O/D light flashing and we found Code 62&67.
I changed the Neutral safety switch, it did not read out proper with a DVOM.
I checked the voltage at the TPS, 5v on bottom wire, 1.2 v-3.99v through acceleration cycle.
Pulled trans dust cover and find no discoloration due to overheating.
I have cleared the codes by disconnecting the batteries multiple times and it still throws codes within a couple miles at 45-55 mph.

Not sure what to do next?
Sometimes a Code 62 Torque Converter slippage is actually Torque Converter slippage! For years I had the hard shifts flashing OD light. I changed most of the elctronics. A transmission shop also changed some. When the slippage got to the point of overheating the trans fluid and losing speed on hills I sprung for a new heavy duty TC. Never looked back. Sometimes a duck is a duck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts